• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    All depends on how bad you scratched it and how fast you heal.

No treatment necessary unless you've got something imbedded in your eye or it's infected.

For me it's usually something caught under my contact. Usually the pain subsides, for the most part, after the contact is out. After that, usually the next day or maybe day after it's OK to put the contact back in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    Yes. It should heal on it's own pretty quickly. Once healed, vision ought to be back to normal.
    I didn't have the same good fortune almost everyone else has, though. Mine became a corneal erosion. For whatever reason, the healing process wouldn't "take", and it was an ongoing thing for well over a year of drops and nighttime ointment. Thankfully, it finally did heal properly, and hasn't been an issue at all for many years. And man, was it painful.
    I would suggest that if it doesn't begin to improve in a few days, to see an ophthalmologist, just to be safe. But, in all likelihood, you should heal up just fine.

Boss75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Texas
    I took a pinky to the eye playing basketball in high school. I had to put drops on my eye 3 times a day for about a week and it took a couple days to stop hurting. Vision was blurry for about two days.

After it healed I had no side effects and I see great 10 years later.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    So just a day or two and pain is gone?

Normally... just depends how bad it got scratched, if it gets infected, and how well you heal. If it still hurts after a couple days, or gets worse, then the advice to see an opthalmologist is a good one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Got some concrete chips in my eye once and had to get them removed. First doctor said it was only a scratch, few days later I went to a different doc cause it was still bothering me and they found the small chip still there.

Vision seemed good pretty quick but went to shoot a couple weeks later and noticed the sights were a little fuzzy using my right eye. It eventually passed.

Got a small piece of metal in my eye in high school and put off getting it taken care of for a few days. Seems to be a little more sensitive to bright light now.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I learned long ago that emergency rooms are not the best place to get treatment for an eye injury. Call your eye doctor and tell them you're coming in. They'll wait for you.

I hit my right eye with a blast of degreaser once. Essentially, I chemically sandpapered the whole cornea. On the advice of my eye doctor, I did 30 minutes of emergency eye wash then had my sister drive me straight to the doc's office. Doc examined me then gave me a prescription for drops and a light grease to put in the eye. Vision was blurry and white, like looking through a film of milk, for 4-5 days. It took about 3 weeks to mostly heal and longer till I was completely without symptoms.

The good healing was a direct result of instantly talking to someone who knew how to help. If I had gone to an emergency room, I would have lost the precious, immediate-post-injury window of time that I spent on the eye washing. The injury would have been much worse and the damage could have been permanent.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Yes. Corneal scrape. Most excruciating pain I have ever been in in my life. Healing time was 3-4 days. You need to go get antibacterial eye drops from an eye doctor, ie go get an exam. Sleep is the best thing for injured eyes. Try not to wear corrective lenses throughout the injury, the muscles focusing in your eye will make the pain worse. Good luck!

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I burned my eyes with an electrical flash. (don't ask) My eyes were swelled shut for 3 days. I had 2nd degree burns on my face and left hand. My left eye went from 20/50 before accident to 20/25 after healing. My right eye went from 20/25 to 20/20. My eyesight has degraded some in the 19 years since the accident, but I still don't need glasses to get my driver's license.

Eye injuries hurt, but it's amazing how well they heal.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Just before making a parachute landing, a gust of wind collapsed my chute, and instead of making a clean landing, the result was a face first impact with the drop zone. It all happened so fast there was no way to close my eyes.

Left Cornea got scratched and it hurt like hell. The medics irrigated the eye, then sent me to the hospital. The Eye Doctor put a few drops of pain killer on the eye, then had his assistants irrigate the eye some more until they got every grain of dirt they could flush.

Next, he put a solution on the eye and looked at it under an ultraviolet light. He then packed the injury with a nasty eye salve, and I had to go back every day for two weeks to have the salve and bandage changed.

It was a bitch running the daily four mile run with an eye patch. My buddies called me "Cyclops."

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I burned my eyes with an electrical flash. (don't ask) My eyes were swelled shut for 3 days. I had 2nd degree burns on my face and left hand. My left eye went from 20/50 before accident to 20/25 after healing. My right eye went from 20/25 to 20/20. My eyesight has degraded some in the 19 years since the accident, but I still don't need glasses to get my driver's license.

Eye injuries hurt, but it's amazing how well they heal.

Arc burn? That shit hurts

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Another vote for the eye doctor. I've had pieces of metal in my eye a few times (I'm a slow learner). The eye doctor does a MUCH better job than the emergency room does. Antibiotic eyedrops are something they give. My eye doctor also recommends Refresh tears eyedrops to help with comfort levels. It can be used as many times as you want with no ill effects.

There's also some Refresh brand drops that are more slimy and come in plastic tubes that seem to work well while you're waiting on things to heal. Don't remember the name, but they're available at most drug stores with no prescription.

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    Eyes do heal fast, but they can go south on you just as fast. Better to hit the eye doc and get appropriate therapy. Corneal tissue is about the fastest healing tissue in the body, given that we are visually driven critters. Good to have your critical sensory organ heal quickly when injured. I have to impress that fact on my dog and cat clients all the time, so they will treat their pets' eye injuries like I tell them too. Biggest problem is bacterial infections from normal bacteria that can be in the eye naturally.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Their is a topical antiseptic cream used to treat sty infections it works very well on corneas. Might also wear an eye patch while you sleep for a day or two.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    How long to heal?

How long for pain to go away?

What kind of treatment did you get?

Vision back to normal after how long?

No, but I have a friend who got a piece of glass stuck in his a few decades ago. He now has to wear sunglasses in moderate sun or under flourescent light, otherwise the light can catch the healed wound just right and seriously mess with him. He even wears them in court. I really doubt it will ever heal back.

At least it makes him look cool, I guess.

Opthamology has come along way since then and your prospects are probably much better. Don't mess around, get a good Doc, and cherish those eyes! They don't grow on trees, ya know!

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I had LASIK and they make a corneal flap. They give you 2 different drops and clear perforated shields so you don't touch your eyes. I imagine they do the same for a scratch. It healed in 5-7 days.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I was walking down a isle in the base motorpool and someone stepped out with a long peice of plastic molding for a vehicle and it hit me square in the left eye. Worst pain I've ever had. instant severe tearing, I couldn't hold my eye open. They rushed me to the doc and they said my cornea had a deep scratch in it. Flushed my eye, gave me some petroleum jelly like stuff with medicine in it and I wore an eye patch for a few days.

it healed fine, no vision problem but when I go an eye doctor for an exam, they will bring it up because they can see the scar tissue apparantly.

Top Bottom