• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Hodgdon list Longshot as providing excellent velocities for 180 gr bullet in .40 S&W. Looking around the web, I see posts about how clean Longshot burns, but I also see folks posting that they had pressure issues.

Anyone with experience with Longshot - esp. with .40 S&W?
    Gun Zone Deals

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Loaded up some 180 gr. Win. FP bullets with 6.5 and 7.2 gr of Longshot. The lighter load seem to duplicate factory (Win. W/B). The heavier load was definitely hotter. Did not see signs of pressure problems with either. The powder burned very cleanly.

Also loaded up the same bullets with 6.5 and 7.0 gr of Power Pistol. Again, the lighter load seem to duplicate factory. Again, burned clean and no signs of pressure problems.

I need to dig out the chrono and see if it still works.

TxSgt1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I load .40 with both Hornady 155 and 180 grain XTP and Longshot.

1. Hornady 155 XTP CCI sp primer 8.6 grains Longshot 1.125 OAL = 1270fps through Glock 22 w/ Lonewolf barrel

2. Hornady 180 XTP CCI sp primer 7.5 grains Longshot 1.125 OAL = 1108fps through S&W M&P-40 w/ 4 1/4" barrel

These are near max loads in my weapons, and are quite a bit hotter than factory, particularly the 180 grain load. I've had no issues with pressure using Longshot. Hope this helps.

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    I had some spotty pressure responses last summer to longshot. It did not like the heat of the gun and houston's summer heat. It also burns very hot and made the gun unnaturally hot.

I decided to not use it any more and will burn it up with mild loads to get rid of it. Too tempermental for me.

Top Bottom