• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    I am getting ready to purchase my first firearm and realized that my drivers license is expired.

I renewed it online about three weeks ago but the new license has not arrived yet.

Am I going to have to wait until my new license arrives?
    DK Firearms

mtaylor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Montgomery, Texas
    I am getting ready to purchase my first firearm and realized that my drivers license is expired.

I renewed it online about three weeks ago but the new license has not arrived yet.

Yes, you will, unless you can provide an alternate means of identification acceptable to the FFL and the law.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Yes if you do not have any other Govt issued photo ID & plan to buy from an FFL.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    A government ID (not from Texas) does not work unless you have documentation that shows you are a Texas resident (e.g. a military person stationed here can show their DoD ID card and orders). The law says you have to have a valid form of Texas ID, which an expired drivers license is not! So, unless you have some other form of Texas ID, you are SOL until the new DL arrives.

As a matter of fact, you aren't technically suppose to drive until the new one arrives, and they do take a while. My wife lost her's, and the replacement took about a month.

And I for one would not do a private sale unless someone showed me a current Texas ID with their picture on it (such as a DL or CHL). I don't take any info off of it, but I damn sure want to see it!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    A government ID (not from Texas) does not work unless

The point was, if the DL is his only form of Govt ID, it does not matter what else he has. He seemed to imply it was, this he is SOL till he gets his DL.

The law says you have to have a valid form of Texas ID,.

No, A passport + Tax Document showing address would work.

Form4473-ID.jpg

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    The law says you have to have a valid form of Texas ID, which an expired drivers license is not! So, unless you have some other form of Texas ID, you are SOL until the new DL arrives.
    That sucks, I guess I will just have to be patient. :(

As a matter of fact, you aren't technically suppose to drive until the new one arrives, and they do take a while.!
    I can drive because technically my license has been renewed. As long as I keep the renewal paperwork in the car I am covered for 45 days.

Thanks for the info everyone.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Take your expired DL and the renewal receipt with the new expiration date on it and you will be ok.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    My Texas CHL works and avoids delay and all but when the form is filled out they want to see my Texas DL also for the form. My wife says we are through purchasing firearms so I may not need all that data to go about here and there.

Top Bottom