• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    For the moment, I'm using a cheap pair of shooter's glasses that are all scratched up and ear protectors that are older than I am.

I'm looking to get new ear protectors and glasses and i have a few questions:

Eye: is there any advantage to the yellow/amber tinted glasses?
    Ear: As far as specs goes, i'm a little unfamilier. What do you reccomend that would work well for indoor as well as outdoor?
    DK Firearms

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    Eye: Oakley Ballistic M-frame 2.0 (saved a Ranger friend's life in a kill-house, good enough for me)

Ear: I double up with foam in-ear (33 NRR) and then over-ear muffs for indoor. Outside you can get away with either or since the sound doesn't reflect like it does indoors and has somewhere to go.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Eye: Oakley Ballistic M-frame 2.0 (saved a Ranger friend's life in a kill-house, good enough for me)

Ear: I double up with foam in-ear (33 NRR) and then over-ear muffs for indoor. Outside you can get away with either or since the sound doesn't reflect like it does indoors and has somewhere to go.

I still have some old M-frame frames. do you know if they sell the lenses seperately and where i could get them?

Sidewayz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    I can suggest what NOT to buy as far as ear protection is concerned. If you plan on using electronic muffs DON"T buy the $29.99 Caldwell ES-85(also re-badged for sale at Academy and Cabellas). My 1st pair lasted only two range trips then the electronic noise cancelling quit working. Now the 2nd pair is showing signs of the same problem. They still work to protect the ears though. Just can't hear conversation anymore.

kfog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Houston
    i've been using the peltor in-ear plugs (12.99 at cabela's) for about 6 months now. favorite thing i've used so far

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Eye: is there any advantage to the yellow/amber tinted glasses?
    Ear: As far as specs goes, i'm a little unfamilier. What do you reccomend that would work well for indoor as well as outdoor?

Amber and yellow glasses have different uses. Yellow lenses help sharpen contrast so that everything "pops". Amber has the same effect, but won't be so blindingly bright on a sunny day.

On the ears question, outdoor and indoor are very different. For outdoor I'll either use an inexpensive set of over-the-ear muffs or some ear plugs. For indoor, I'll use both. Doubling-up indoors is the way to go, IMO.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I use a set of the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs, same ones the guys up at Shiloh use, and a set of Oakleys.....

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    What is the budget?

EarPros are not sufficient alone in most cases.

I have them and they get uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

For ears:

1. Peltor Comtac IIs or
    2. MSA Sordins.

I have the Com-Tac IIs and would go with the MSA Sordins becasue I can get a set that fits under my helmet when playing with NV.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What is the budget?

EarPros are not sufficient alone in most cases.

I have them and they get uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

For ears:

1. Peltor Comtac IIs or
    2. MSA Sordins.

I have the Com-Tac IIs and would go with the MSA Sordins becasue I can get a set that fits under my helmet when playing with NV.

What's your opinion between those 2, as far as the sound quality? I had been considering both of those for the future. I heard the Sordins are basically stereo sound and they don't cut out under noise suppression like some of the more inexpensive ones can.

ethan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Fort Worth (Currently in Iraq)
    as far as eye pro is concerned, your primary concern is that they look good on you ;}. lol, but seriously, if you get a pair of oakleys, and actually maintain the lenses (as i usually do not) its like you dont even notice the lenses, wiley x also makes some awesome specs. alot of it depends on your budget

for ears, i actually have two pairs of electronic, i run the Howard Leights electronic and for work i carry my MSA Sordin's, backed up with Surefire EP3's, and like it was stated earlier, depending on where you are is important, cause in side buildings or walled ranges the sound is so much worse. i'd say its worth it to have a good pair of each, muffs and plugs, i spent 60 on my Howard Leight's and i got my Sordins for free (SHHHHH, dont tattle), and i get oakley lense's by the trash bag full at work, i've seen oakley's work to save lives first hand, but really anything that says Z.87 or better will do you

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    You could always do what R Lee Emry does.
    Stick a couple spent 45 brass in your ears. Course you need .454 ear canals.

I use muffs and sometimes the foam inserts as well.
    But being deaf isn't too bad....at least my wife thinks I am deaf.

Top Bottom