• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I recently found some pics I took while stationed at RAF Upper Heyford in the early 90's.

These are from a trip I got to take on a KC-135 over the North Sea.

F111-refuel0003.jpg

F111-refuel0004.jpg

F111-refuel0002.jpg

F111-refuel0001.jpg
    Texas SOT

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    The sad part is my old room mate was just on vacation in Arizona. The F-111s are about to be scrapped there. They were beautiful in the air, and maintenance pigs on the ground, but I will always like them. I worked on them after you at Cannon.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Nice pictures, do you know if those are veterans of the Libyan bombing in 86?

Since you may be an airplane guy in the Dallas area, have you been to the Cold War Air Museum in Lancaster? If so is it worth the trip? I know that the CAF museum at the same airport is not worth the trip by itself.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    The sad part is my old room mate was just on vacation in Arizona. The F-111s are about to be scrapped there. They were beautiful in the air, and maintenance pigs on the ground, but I will always like them. I worked on them after you at Cannon.

And being a low ranking jet-mech. I got all of the shit jobs. I think it made me a better mechanic though.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I didn't know there was a Cold War Air Museum in Lancaster. Orbit-up and I both live less than 10 miles from there. Is an F-111 there?

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Nice pictures, do you know if those are veterans of the Libyan bombing in 86?

Since you may be an airplane guy in the Dallas area, have you been to the Cold War Air Museum in Lancaster? If so is it worth the trip? I know that the CAF museum at the same airport is not worth the trip by itself.

Heyford only sent in the EF-111's. Lackenheath sent the rest. They had F models with Pave Tach.

I haven't been to that museum, I didn't even know about it. I will look it up and take the boy in the near future, thanks!

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Here are some pics taken of the engines pulled from an aircraft that crashed on landing. Unfortunately the pilot and wizzo didn't make it.

F111-crash0002.jpg

F111-crash0001.jpg

F111-crash0006.jpg

F111-crash0011.jpg

F111-crash0008.jpg

I just happened to have B&W film in my camera at the time.

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    I didn't know there was a Cold War Air Museum in Lancaster. Orbit-up and I both live less than 10 miles from there. Is an F-111 there?

I also live about 10 miles from there, I didn't know about the museum either. I'll have to take the gf and crib midget there.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Awesome pics!

You know they tried to foist it off on the Navy, too? Carrier trials and everything...

Yeah, the F-111 has an interesting history to it. We had 'em up at Mountain Home, I worked the electronic combat version, the EF-111s of the 390 ECS...

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Awesome pics!

You know they tried to foist it off on the Navy, too? Carrier trials and everything...

Ye, our plane had tail-hooks too and the runway had cables. We had a guy in supply that would listen to the tower and let us know when they were going to use it, for some kind of emergency landing. We would all go outside and watch.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Many modern fighters (F-16s, F-15s, etc) have tailhooks for the arresting cables on the runway, the beautiful and ever-powerful A-10 in your avatar doesn't is because the front landing gear was designed to serve that purpose in an emergency.

Also, some airfields have webbed barricades used to help stop an aircraft if necessary.

However, the F-111 has one because McNamara intended on both the USAF and the USN to use the aircraft (Google Tactical Fighter Experimental (TFX)). The Navy was able to bow out and eventually got the Tomcat.

Top Bottom