• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I'm looking for a good beef fajita recipe. I have my own "home grown" method, which involves marinating flank or skirt, usually skirt, in a marinade consisting of lemon and lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder all mixed in a base of vegetable oil. I only marinate for about 1-1.5 hours, to keep the citric acid from breaking down the meat too much. I grill it on high heat for only a few minutes on each side, preferring the center to be rare to medium rare.

I really like the way it turns out, although it's a bit different than I've had elsewhere and in restaurants, so maybe I'm missing something or doing something wrong. Anyone care to share recommended changes, or a completely different recipe/method?

Thanks,
    Pete
    Venture Surplus ad

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    A few days ago, I tried your same cook / marinate time and marinade (almost) - turned out way too tough to eat.
    I'll try again, maybe better meat is called for. Glad to spy on this thread.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    A few days ago, I tried your same cook / marinate time and marinade (almost) - turned out way too tough to eat.
    I'll try again, maybe better meat is called for. Glad to spy on this thread.

Flank is usually more tender than skirt, but not as flavorful. I'm assuming you cut the meat across the grain, right?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Fajitas like brisket tend to be sliced wrong in most cases. Adolf's meat tenderizer if left to long will have fajitas falling thru the grill. Adolf's & ammonia made into a paste is the best thing for fire ant bites.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I'm looking for a good beef fajita recipe. I have my own "home grown" method, which involves marinating flank or skirt, usually skirt, in a marinade consisting of lemon and lime juice, chili powder, $#@!in, salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder all mixed in a base of vegetable oil. I only marinate for about 1-1.5 hours, to keep the citric acid from breaking down the meat too much. I grill it on high heat for only a few minutes on each side, preferring the center to be rare to medium rare.

I really like the way it turns out, although it's a bit different than I've had elsewhere and in restaurants, so maybe I'm missing something or doing something wrong. Anyone care to share recommended changes, or a completely different recipe/method?

Thanks,
    Pete

Add soy sauce. And you have most high end fajita places ingredients

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The prepackaged marinated beef.

I'm guessing its the same stuff we buy. We love it. Prepackaged, marinated, fajita meat. Literally open and throw on grill. I've cooked this HEB Fajita mix dozens of times. Never been disappointed.

But I like your recipe Pete.

Gotcha, thanks for the info fellas. I'll have to check the ingredients on the packaging, to see if I am missing anything. While I have no issue going prepackaged, I enjoy the entire cooking process too much to go that route...and the time inolved allows for a lot more drinking! LOL

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Thanks, I do add a hefty splash of soy, just forgot to mention it.

Funny how when you quoted my post, it censored the "$#@!" out of $#@!in. LMAO!!

Personally.

I do

salt pepper paprika, chile powder, garlic powder onion powder. Put it in a pineapple bath, then rub it with lard.

Toss on the grill at 500 ish. Wood or lump fire is the kicker.

I'm still fiddling around with this method. Usually I make something till I go, wow that was good.

This isn't quite there yet.

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Gotcha, thanks for the info fellas. I'll have to check the ingredients on the packaging, to see if I am missing anything. While I have no issue going prepackaged, I enjoy the entire cooking process too much to go that route...and the time inolved allows for a lot more drinking! LOL

Been grilling fajitas since flank steak was .19/lb, and started using HEB pre-seasoned, vacuum packed fajitas a few years ago.

Just too easy and good to not, folks still rave about them, and still have plenty of opportunity to reinforce the cook with margaritas.

<but really wanted to see what the nanny algorithm does with "vacuum".> ;)

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Been grilling fajitas since flank steak was .19/lb, and started using HEB pre-seasoned, vacum packed fajitas a few years ago.

Just too easy and good to not, folks still rave about them, and still have plenty of opportunity to reinforce the cook with margaritas.

<but really wanted to see what the nanny algorithm does with "vacum".> ;)

What, no Puck fajita recipe? LOL

I changed the spelling in the quotes to see if Nanny 2000 would pick it up.

ETA: Nope, looks like vacum is GTG. LOL

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I know you are talking beef, but if you want a quick and easy chicken fajita, I cut an onion or two and a green pepper, add about 1/2 the onion to a pressure cooker, toss 3 or 4 partially defrosted chicken breasts in, apply generous amount of Fiesta brand fajita seasoning, juice of a lime and juice of a lemon and about 1/3 cup water, then the rest of the onion and the peppers on top. Pressure cook for about 18-20 minutes. Release pressure and remove chicken breasts, shred the meat (I usually just grab 2 forms and pull apart) and put back in pressure cooker to soak up all the juices.

This is assuming your breasts are frozen. It would be a shorter time if fresh and/or thawed. I use it as is and toss it in a flour tortilla with cheese, fold in half and drop on hot cast iron skillet for quesidilla or use it as fajita meat with mexican rice and fajita fixings....

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I know you are talking beef, but if you want a quick and easy chicken fajita, I cut an onion or two and a green pepper, add about 1/2 the onion to a pressure cooker, toss 3 or 4 partially defrosted chicken breasts in, apply generous amount of Fiesta brand fajita seasoning, juice of a lime and juice of a lemon and about 1/3 cup water, then the rest of the onion and the peppers on top. Pressure cook for about 18-20 minutes. Release pressure and remove chicken breasts, shred the meat (I usually just grab 2 forms and pull apart) and put back in pressure cooker to soak up all the juices.

This is assuming your breasts are frozen. It would be a shorter time if fresh and/or thawed. I use it as is and toss it in a flour tortilla with cheese, fold in half and drop on hot cast iron skillet for quesidilla or use it as fajita meat with mexican rice and fajita fixings....

Careful, Here in Texas, intimating there is such thing as a chicken "fajita" is liable to get you on a spreadsheet. :spank:

Top Bottom