• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    So, I had heard of scam listings being on that site before, but never experienced it.......until yesterday. Saw a listing for a Sig P229 legion in Austin for $550. Right there, too good to be true. However, I sent a text anyways just to see what the deal was. I asked if it was still available and how many mags it came with. Got a reply stating it was still for sale and came with two 8 round magazines. I replied with that is a weird size and I dont think 8 round mags are even made for the P229. Then I get a reply that was copy and pasted from a web site that read something like.... The P229 comes with three 15 round magazines, a hard case........and so on. So, decided it was a scam and quit replying. Person kept it up though and kept asking where I was located. I went back to Texas Gun trader and could not find the listing anymore.

So, my question is what do these people expect to accomplish with the fake listings? Meet up and rob someone?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So, I had heard of scam listings being on that site before, but never experienced it.......until yesterday. Saw a listing for a Sig P229 legion in Austin for $550. Right there, too good to be true. However, I sent a text anyways just to see what the deal was. I asked if it was still available and how many mags it came with. Got a reply stating it was still for sale and came with two 8 round magazines. I replied with that is a weird size and I dont think 8 round mags are even made for the P229. Then I get a reply that was copy and pasted from a web site that read something like.... The P229 comes with three 15 round magazines, a hard case........and so on. So, decided it was a scam and quit replying. Person kept it up though and kept asking where I was located. I went back to Texas Gun trader and could not find the listing anymore.

So, my question is what do these people expect to accomplish with the fake listings? Meet up and rob someone?

Probably ask for a money order and offer to ship upon payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I will ask for more pictures and info.
    If they don't answer back with correct info I drop it.
    I will ask for their general location. Not going to drive to Dalhart to save $50.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    They ask you where you live so they can say they don't live there and to send them money. First ask where they live so you or a " buddy" can drive over pickup the gun. Then they will be the ones that go quite.
    Or they could just be selling a gun, need the cash and can't find anyone in their area who wants to buy it. So they are trying to figure out how far they are willing to drive. Waco to Austin might be doable for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Ah, ok that makes sense. Well, I guess it would not have ended like they wanted since I was going to be in the Austin area this weekend and could meet up to get it.

They ask you where you live so they can say they don't live there and to send them money. First ask where they live so you or a " buddy" can drive over pickup the gun. Then they will be the ones that go quite.
    Or they could just be selling a gun, need the cash and can't find anyone in their area who wants to buy it. So they are trying to figure out how far they are willing to drive. Waco to Austin might be doable for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Yep, they want you to send money, even a small deposit.

TGTrader has gotten better about booting the scammers.

Usually you can tell by the "too good to be true" price and the new join date. Not that new members won't list cheap but most are scams.

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    If you click on the little bullseye in the ad, it will show you the IP and location of the computer where the ad was posted. For the scam ads, I see them coming out of various locations in Africa. Don't trust a local or US phone number as they are able to get local phone numbers and send text messages.

They will tell you they don't live in the area but if you send $$$ they will have a friend bring the gun to you. I see this on Craigslist a lot too. If you can't deal face to face, then don't deal.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Maybe I just got lucky, but I've bought a couple of guns off of there with no problems. I suppose I should be more diligent about things in the future.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    If you click on the little bullseye in the ad, it will show you the IP and location of the computer where the ad was posted. For the scam ads, I see them coming out of various locations in Africa. Don't trust a local or US phone number as they are able to get local phone numbers and send text messages.

They will tell you they don't live in the area but if you send $$$ they will have a friend bring the gun to you. I see this on Craigslist a lot too. If you can't deal face to face, then don't deal.

Location by IP address can be spoofed by using a proxy too. I regularly surf the web from IP addresses all over the world.

As mentioned, I think the biggest defense to this is to just asked for a face to face. The response or lack there of generally will tell you if its a scam.

Gabe1519

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2015
    I have not seen a fake sale before. On gunbroker I'm a bit reluctant to do any deals with anyone who has feedback less than 20 or so.

Top Bottom