• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Underdark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Bedford, TX
    So i'm really interested in picking up an FAL. I really like the guns appearance, i think overall its just a beautifully crafted weapon, however, i don't know much about quality in them. I keep finding remakes of them from Enterprise, Century, DSAinc etc etc.

I figure best bet is to roam around gun shows looking for one or i suppose finally giving in a paying the $$ for a DSA FAL. But lets say i manage to actually locate one at a gun show, whats the recomended things to look for? I know wear and tear and all that, i'm talking Recievers, manufacture, etc etc. I've heard Imbels great for recievers i've also heard to stay away from Century i just dont know to be honest. Any advice? Or should i just suck it up and go with DSA?

Thanks for the help!!
    Texas SOT

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    DSA if you can afford it, I had a century INCH FaL, it needed alot of work by a gunsmith to make it right. Sold it soon after. Never again would I buy century anything.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Older DSA are the best. AWB-era guns are mostly surplus FN or Steyr parts with soldered-on muzzle brakes. Pull the barrel (very easy with the right tools) and have it chopped to 17.35-18" and put a US-made "combo device" on it for a great rifle. Newer DSA rifles have a lot more US parts in them and there have been issues.
    As for Entreprise, some run and some don't. They are cheaper.
    I'd avoid Century.
    The "best FAL" is one you build yourself, but you can easily spend more than a low-end DSA nowadays. You can still find FN-made German G-1 kits or Imbel kits for $300-400 and I think the price for a DSA receiver is $350 for FALfiles members. DSA is the only forged receiver available, and you'll have to add other US-made parts.
    The "Gunplumber" video and workbook are considered to be the best.

Eli

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I've heard Imbels great for recievers i've also heard to stay away from Century
    What about the "Century" receiver made for them by Imbel?

The only Century receiver to consider is the one with the standard "widow's peak" feed ramp. Century "experimentated" with some other feed ramp geometry and those are the receivers that give the Century FAL a bad name.

JustaPhule

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Greenville, TX
    The build it yourself idea is a good one. The one piece of advice i can give you is something i learned - Inch and metric parts don't play well together - but i won't tell you how I learned it.

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I'd like to get a FAL myself. However buying one or building one-neither one is in my budget for the near future.

TooManyChoices!?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Texas
    DSA all the way!! DSA still has a few of the rebuilt imports at ~1000. Failing that, go to thefalfiles.com and cruise the buy,sell,and trade section and see what turns up. You'll also absorb tons of info on metric vs inch, best/most valued receivers, what to avoid, and magazines.

Sadly, mags are starting to dry up, and only the newly manufactured 25-30bucks a pop ones can be found. I should have bought 100 of them when DSA had them at 4$ a piece :mad:!!

pigdave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I've always heard that DSA makes the best FAL's. Most other brands and makes I've seen at gun shows look like monkeys put them together. And my general rule of thumb for buying weapons is "If it looks like it was put together by monkeys, it probably was." But I just wanted to make a suggestion. I have a friend who has an M1 Garand and two M1A rifles and I always love shooting them. At the last gun show I was at, I saw them going for $1300 (at the Dallas Market Hall Gun show). Alas, with a growing family I cannot consummate my desire for one of those suckers. But spare parts and mags are readily available, the M1A eats up the cheap wolf ammo with ease, and you don't have to worry about all that metric vs. inch FAL stuff. Just thought I'd make the suggestion.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I bought a Century L1A1 (FAL inch type) in 1993 with the thumbhole stock. For years I never shot it, then I bought one of the DSA picitanny adapters so I could mount a scope. Back in the day I bought it for $349. I have run a few thousand rounds of surplus brass ammo through it without any problems. I don't see many of them but I did see 2 of them for sale at the Bullet Trap in Plano for $749 ea. I have heard bad stories about the Century receivers, I must have one of the good ones.
    DSA is the Mercedes of FAL's. I would probably own one if I thought about it hard enough. I am waiting for my ACR to show up, that will keep me busy for a while.

Top Bottom