• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrooperKbC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have just purchased a 300 Win Mag bolt gun and am interested in getting a muzzle brake since the rifle is only 8 lbs and will kick like a mule(I assume). I am playing with the idea of a Surefire or YHM type version that could later attach to a suppressor, but I think the YHM is only a flash suppressor and not a muzzle brake, and a Surefire suppressor is WAY too expensive. One of my main issues currently is price. What are everyone's thoughts about the best one for the money?
    Venture Surplus ad

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    I bought a 300 Ultra when they first hit the market a few years ago and dropped it at KDF before I ever fired it. They did excellent work and they're a Texas business. They have done a total of 4 brakes for me and I have no complaints.

KDF Custom Work

TrooperKbC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    They are nice and close to home, but they want $250 for the brake installed. I can't imagine that's the best bang for the buck. I'm sure they are high quality, but I just can't see myself spending that much for a small drilled $2 metal cylinder with some threads. Honestly, I think anything over $15 is a rip off, but I know no one sells them for that price(only because they're a low-demand/low-supply item; not because they are expensive to manufacture). This is going on a $400 Howa rifle, not a Blaser, Sako, AI, or Sig Sauer. Haha. Any other ideas? Thoughts on the AAC brakes?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I built my own. I experimented with a couple different designs, and found one that worked well enough. It isn't pretty, but it does the job. Cost: less than $5. It isn't too bad for not having a mill or a lathe.

TrooperKbC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I know a place in Austin that would give that small of a cylindrical(no lathe necessary) steel sample for almost nothing. The problem for me would be the cost of the tools. I have some metal drill bits, but that's about it. I don't know anyone with a welding rig either, but it may be cheaper to buy welding gear than some of these brakes. Haha. I'll keep the idea in mind, but for now I'm still looking.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    if you are really interested in building your own, study some designs of recommended brakes, then find a local machine shop to drill and either thread it or weld it on. ive had custom parts made for me and just usaully pay 30-40 bucks for labor.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I have the AAC brake on my 10.5" AR, but since it is .223 I really couldn't say how effective it is on recoil reduction. I use it to protect the silencer from erosion.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom