• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I have a box of Federal .22lr 36 grain CP HP 1260fps. 550 red box. Lot 14E120 Load no. 790. I've maybe shot 200 rounds out of it. My first hundred or so I was having bad "primers" every other magazine. I went to the range for the first time in quite a few months and I was having a puff of blue smoke come out of the barrel and very little or next to no recoil. Don't remember if there was much sound. I was like this must be a squib as I never had one. So I field strip it to look down the barrel and see nothing other then it looking quite dirty. Out of maybe 4 10rnd magazines this happened 7~ times. I eventually gave up and went to try out some CCI mini mags I bought. They worked fine, in my Ruger Mark IV.

Is this just junk ammo?
    Higgins909
    Target Sports

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It is junk.
    Been a problem for years.
    I refuse to purchase it.
    CCI mini-mags work great in everything I have so they are always first choice.
    The cheap bulk stuff works okay in manually cycled firearms if there is nothing else.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    22lr bulk packs seem to fit the mantra that you get what you pay for.

The more expensive bulk packs seem to have less issues than their cheaper counterparts. Spend even more to get into 50 or 100 round packs and the ammo is even better.

I have some of those red and black Federal bulk packs but haven't fired any yet. I hope mine aren't as bad as your experience.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Shot a bunch of fed. Automatch today, no problems. Rem bulk is junk IMHO. Yrs ago I heard the match guys would buy by the palet and give the outside boxes away as they got too many cracked primer rings.

Top Bottom