• ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Here is what I have found out:

It wasn't Federal Agents, it was state agents who go after moonshiners each year. Its shine season and they were looking for people who had bought large amounts of sugar.

Sorry, no tin foil.

blackwater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    odessa
    Here is what I have found out:

It wasn't Federal Agents, it was state agents who go after moonshiners each year. Its shine season and they were looking for people who had bought large amounts of sugar.

Sorry, no tin foil.

Not so sketchy

blackwater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    odessa
    Reminds me of the saying: "Just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me."

Paranoid? a little but I don't worry too much living in the country out in west Texas means I can see and hear a vehicle coming 5 minutes before it gets to my house, along with those helos people like to refer to as birds. I understand the sugar for the moonshiners but I wonder what if the government actually tracked people with bulk amounts of food and why would they do so? Along with guns and ammo.... That would make me wear a tin hat for sure.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Hey soooooo i just got 1k of .45 and a k of .223 does that mean
    I b on da list?? Being a black red neck and all?(oxymoron at its best)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Not so sketchy
    Still sketchy. Sales transactions are nobody's business other than the store owner and the people buying. How would you feel if someone started making lists of anyone in south TX buying two or three thousand rounds of ammo at a time? Because you know, we're just trying to figure out who's supplying the cartels...

On the topic of moonshiners... I don't really get how this is still a big deal. I can see people doing it just because it's their craft or tradition, but I can't really see how it's profitable. There's tons of cheap distilled spirits at the store. It also bothers me that the only real reason it's illegal is because the government is not getting it's cut.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    i just got back from kerrville and fredericksburg we bought several guns at texas jacks and saw several people buy over a thousand rounds at a time at shop in kerrville guess we all made the list.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Still worries me. There's a federal memo out there that tells agents to suspect anybody with more than 7 days' worth of food of being a terrorist.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    How is moonshine profitable? You re-fill the bottles from a dance club. Most of those sweaty people pounding down mixed drinks don't know they're getting something made in an old radiator. If the alcohol folks stop by to check and count the bottles, everything looks in order.

Misspent youth.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    How is moonshine profitable? You re-fill the bottles from a dance club. Most of those sweaty people pounding down mixed drinks don't know they're getting something made in an old radiator. If the alcohol folks stop by to check and count the bottles, everything looks in order.

Misspent youth.

Is that why they scratch the tax stamp?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    There is a new cable show on Moonshining. Covering both ends of the thing. It's profitable they claim.

Is that why they scratch the tax stamp?

No they should be scratching the label. The liquor that is sold in bars, restaurants, etc is taxed at a much higher rate than what you go and buy from a store. You don't want to be caught refilling bottles as it is a tax violation and subject to much harsher penalties than other stuff. Easy for an agent to check and see if bottles have scratched off labels when they visit, and also able to check and see if the bartenders are doing their job correctly and destroying the labels as they empty bottles.

Moonshine is usually sold in illegal bars, not mainstream places. Too many controls for most legitimate places to risk losing expensive licenses, fines and possible prosecution.

Top Bottom