• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Whitesboro, TX
    I was wondering how many of the folks here are into Mil-Surp and what got you turned on to them? Do you collect from a certain era or all over the place?

My mil-surp collection includes two Mosins, three Enfields, a M1 Grarand, and a K98 Mauser. I just love the fact that they have history, scratch that they are part of history. As for era mine are mostly WWII but, one of my Enfields is from WWI. I was considering expanding my collection into other eras like Korea with the purchase of another enfield or two. I have a thing for .303 Brit. my Grandmother was a English war bride and so I have a couple great uncles that were in the RAF and with 1st Para so I know they fired off quite a few .303 rounds in their time.

I'm dipping my toes in the pond. I have a Norinco SKS, A Polish Tantal AK-74, a 1916 Mosin 1891, a 1934 Mosin 91/30, and a 1945 Mosin M44. I've found an Argentine M91 made in Berlin in 1894 that's in really good shape plus a Yugo M98 sniper (date unknown yet) but I'm walking that tightrope with my collection in one hand and my wife in the other. If I could get her to leave town for a few days, I'm pretty sure I could sneak them in and get away with it as long as I never talked about them.
    Military Camp

roy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    I'm dipping my toes in the pond. I have a Norinco SKS, A Polish Tantal AK-74, a 1916 Mosin 1891, a 1934 Mosin 91/30, and a 1945 Mosin M44. I've found an Argentine M91 made in Berlin in 1894 that's in really good shape plus a Yugo M98 sniper (date unknown yet) but I'm walking that tightrope with my collection in one hand and my wife in the other. If I could get her to leave town for a few days, I'm pretty sure I could sneak them in and get away with it as long as I never talked about them.

It sounds like you are making a start. Be warned, Mil-surps can be habit-forming....

oxbld

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Mesquite
    Not dependant on surplus, I just enjoy taking advantage of it. I handload calibers that are not readily available (or cheap) in surplus. Its mainly 303 British that I load right now, but I save all my brass for future re-use. Yep, I even hold onto the berdan stuff, just in case primers ever become available...

Porter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Houston
    I guess after last weekend I have started a collection. So far I have a '44 Izzy M44, and a '43 Izzy 91/30. I don't have any pics of the 91/30 yet, but here is the M44.

DSCF6331.jpg

I can't wait to start reloading for these babies.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I love mil-surplus, to me nothing feels more comfy than my hands around a nice solid wood stock, the smell of a leather sling and gun oil.

I mostly have an eastern block weapons fetish. Nagants, SKS's, AK's, CZ's, Mak's, etc..

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    How is finding ammunition for that M-95? I know there are reloading components for them now, but the cases are not exactly easy to find. I shot one a few months back and it was surprisingly accurate.

Viper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Copperas Cove
    I was thinking about branching out from WWII weapons and picking up a SKS but so far I have heard mixed reviews. Do you guys that have them like them? Where are the best ones made and what are the best years to look for, or does it really even matter?

Viper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Copperas Cove
    On another note I think everyone should pick up a M-44 they are awesome fun to shoot and the ammo is still relatively cheap enough to plink with.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    How is finding ammunition for that M-95? I know there are reloading components for them now, but the cases are not exactly easy to find. I shot one a few months back and it was surprisingly accurate.

Graf and Sons has 8x56R brass. Before that I either used reformed 7.62x54R (short, but useable), or bought converted .45/70 cases from Buffalo Arms. Best to buy proper brass from Graf's, though.

Randy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Austin
    I collect milsurps. I have always had an interest in WW2 since I lived in Germany from 3rd Grade to 7th on an Air Force Base. Oddly I have started collecting the soviet weapons because they have been the most affordable. I have 2-M91's, 1-M38, 2-M91/30's, 2-M44's (One Russian, One Romanian) and a Romanian AK-47. I have also picked up two Russian M1895 Revolvers, Walther P1, and a 1910 Mauser Pocket Pistol. I have yet to shoot any of the rifles mostly because the ammo I purchased was FMJ and the range I joined (Eagle Peak-Leander) doesn't allow FMJ rifle ammo, but I am planning on trying out Lone-star which will be closer for me anyway.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I collect milsurps. I have always had an interest in WW2 since I lived in Germany from 3rd Grade to 7th on an Air Force Base. Oddly I have started collecting the soviet weapons because they have been the most affordable. I have 2-M91's, 1-M38, 2-M91/30's, 2-M44's (One Russian, One Romanian) and a Romanian AK-47. I have also picked up two Russian M1895 Revolvers, Walther P1, and a 1910 Mauser Pocket Pistol. I have yet to shoot any of the rifles mostly because the ammo I purchased was FMJ and the range I joined (Eagle Peak-Leander) doesn't allow FMJ rifle ammo, but I am planning on trying out Lone-star which will be closer for me anyway.

I don't know where in Austin you are, but the Austin Rifle Club range in Manor is nice. I am a member there and they allow all ammunition aside from super incendiary. No full auto or canons, that's pretty much the only restrictions on the rifle range.

Eastex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2008
    Rusk County
    I was thinking about branching out from WWII weapons and picking up a SKS but so far I have heard mixed reviews. Do you guys that have them like them? Where are the best ones made and what are the best years to look for, or does it really even matter?

I actually bought my first SKS today, and have done lots of reading on them. The Russian rifles are the most sought after and increase in value if the bayonet, cleaning rod, etc is still on it. My Russian is a 1954, and a cool rifle. If it shoots as good as it looks, I'll be looking for more.

Randy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Austin
    A russian SKS or the Tokorev TT-33 are next on my collecting list......I am saving up for my authentic M91-30 Sniper Rifle....Rguns has em for around 800.00

Top Bottom