• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    My wife was raised in a house-hold in Austin that doesn't believe in the need for guns (not anti-gun just didn't see a need). After 7 years of marriage we are finally got to try out a bunch of 9mm pistols this month for her (she has a bad wrist and is not comfortable with my .45's) and get her the one she likes, then next month she is going to take her CHL class. Any suggestions on an easily concealable 9mm with minimal recoil (only 9mm i have is my Luger lol)?
    Lynx Defense

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Great job! There are lots to choose from but the key secret is to let HER pick the gun that's right for HER. You don't pick her shoes....don't pick her gun either. Let her handle lots of them and see what fits her hand best.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If she has wrist issues I would think a heavier gun would be more comfortable for her (less perceived recoil). I am thinking Glock 26/ 19, maybe a 1911 platform, or anything else on the heavy side.

Ofcourse it has to fit her properly so she has to choose it.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Great job! There are lots to choose from but the key secret is to let HER pick the gun that's right for HER. You don't pick her shoes....don't pick her gun either. Let her handle lots of them and see what fits her hand best.

+1!
    I work at Academy and I see that mistake ALL THE TIME. Some 6' 3" 230lb dude is really pressing a Glock 21 for his 4' 5" 130lb wife, when she really wants a Ruger SR9C.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Nice going, James! Being brought up in a non gun family is a big hurdle to overcome. I hope that she read my thread about my friend being murdered over a stinkin' watch. He had a CHL but didn't have his piece with him. What a damned waste.

9mm recommendations? Except for the magazine safety and manual safety, I like the Ruger LC9. It's a good quality pistol and very reliable without the size issues of many other brands. Price is reasonable, too. Here's a review.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LC9.htm

Flash

redisc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I handle my m9 Beretta just fine and I have small woman hands. For comparison I have trouble controlling those beautiful desert eagles. A heartbreaking realization btw.

Congrats on the new convert!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    There's any number of choices, given the wrist issue, I'm thinking the Sig P938 might be a poor choice - a large caliber for a small gun, although to me the recoil is essentially non-existent, and the wife loves hers.

If ya git down this neck of the woods, we can do a range trip with some different ones we have an' let her try 'em. Might also note that the wife LOVES her 1911's - an' she's a 5' li'l spitkit of a gal.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Congrats. I'm a huge fan of Kahr for CC. Especially in 9mm. The CW9 is the perfect size IMO, not too small, but small and light enough to carry every day with almost any kind of clothing. I have a bunch of CW guns. But if I had to pick just one to keep, that would be it. It's by far the most practical.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I will let her pick the gun she wants i just want to have a small list when we go to the range and rent them for her. Thanks for the offer TRN but still not able to make it far from the house yet.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    A youth 20 guage mossberg converted my wife. Give her some silhouette targets and she is a happy camper. I have tried to get her into shooting birds but she prefers shooting at paper

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Congratulations. I tought my last girlfriend to shoot. She really enjoyed the sport. She needed to learn anyway, her ex hubby was a bit of a jerk.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    +1!
    I work at Academy and I see that mistake ALL THE TIME. Some 6' 3" 230lb dude is really pressing a Glock 21 for his 4' 5" 130lb wife, when she really wants a Ruger SR9C.

I've been to Academy. You don't sound like most of the fools I hear preaching to customers there. I agree with what you're saying. Concealable and minimal recoil are usually on opposite ends of the spectrum. Pistols like the SR9C offer a nice compromise. An extended magazine that offers a full size grip for lower felt recoil, and a short magazine for easier concealment.

Rentals are usually a good place to start for her to figure out what she likes. Start off with a full size so she gets the basics down, then start looking at something smaller would be my advice.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    My wife was raised in a house-hold in Austin that doesn't believe in the need for guns (not anti-gun just didn't see a need). After 7 years of marriage we are finally got to try out a bunch of 9mm pistols this month for her (she has a bad wrist and is not comfortable with my .45's) and get her the one she likes, then next month she is going to take her CHL class. Any suggestions on an easily concealable 9mm with minimal recoil (only 9mm i have is my Luger lol)?

If I recall correctly, you live in College Station right? If you haven't already, take her to look around at Champion Firearms so she can at least narrow down what feels right and get an idea for her preferences. Most of the guys there are pretty knowledgeable but my favorite guy to deal with is Mark. When you do narrow down the list, they have a 5 for $5 program with some rentals that let's you shoot 5 rounds for $5 instead of paying a full rental plus regular range fees. If you end up buying a gun from them that day, that $5 will be placed toward your purchase also.

All of that aside, the only 9mm I own is a Glock 19 but I feel its the right compromise between comfort, accuracy, reliability, and concealability.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX

++++++1 If you have some money to spend pick up a Sig Sauer E2 9mm and let her hold it. Don't do it if you can not afford it because you will have to buy it once she picks it up.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    If I recall correctly, you live in College Station right? If you haven't already, take her to look around at Champion Firearms so she can at least narrow down what feels right and get an idea for her preferences. Most of the guys there are pretty knowledgeable but my favorite guy to deal with is Mark. When you do narrow down the list, they have a 5 for $5 program with some rentals that let's you shoot 5 rounds for $5 instead of paying a full rental plus regular range fees. If you end up buying a gun from them that day, that $5 will be placed toward your purchase also.

All of that aside, the only 9mm I own is a Glock 19 but I feel its the right compromise between comfort, accuracy, reliability, and concealability.

I plan on going there and doing the rental and 5 for $5 but i want to have a list in mind that wont mess with her wrist and let her try all of them and buy the one she wants.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I plan on going there and doing the rental and 5 for $5 but i want to have a list in mind that wont mess with her wrist and let her try all of them and buy the one she wants.

Yeah I understand. I was just letting you know in case you didn't already know about all of that.

As far as perceived recoil, I don't notice too much difference in most 9mm's. Obviously a full size 1911 or other full frame metal gun is going to be a little easier on you but most women aren't going to like a gun that large for carry. Without knowing just how sensitive her wrist is the only advice I can offer is to let her pick up and feel some of the guns in the case at store to see what ergonomics and frame size she likes. From there you can make a list and see if she likes how those shoot. Without a reference point regarding her preferences, all any of us can do is take a guess or recommend what we like personally. And if there is one thing I know about gun owners its that we all have wildly different preferences.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Let's get some better parameters going here....

Carry - on person or in purse? If on person, what's her usual style of dress? Dress? Jeans? Smock? If purse - large? Small? You get the idea....

Is she a larger gal, or smaller, shorter? You mention wrist issues - STAY AWAY from polymer guns, period. Perceived recoil will be substantially higher than steel-framed, because of the lower mass to absorb recoil.

IMO, the recoil of a 9 mm is essentially nil in a steel-framed gun. The Sig P938 gives you the compact size, steel frame - and a gun that'll drop in your pocket easily. That REALLY opens the carry options up for you, since if it'll fit in a pocket, it'll fit an IWB holster, purse, etc. - a larger framed gun will require it be carried w/less options. It ain't cheap - but that's a budgetary consideration you haven't indicated.

Top Bottom