• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 00ChevyScott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Arlington, TX
    Thanks to my Uncle, I am now a proud Garand owner. I visited him yesterday and we both shot this beautiful rifle for the first time since he bought it 25 years ago. When I went to leave, he told me to take it with since he knew it'd be in good hands and remain in the family.

It is a 5.3 million serial # rifle, which from what I can tell points to 1955. It's a Springfield, with a National Match barrel, with NM front and rear sights. I do not believe this is an original National Match due to it having a newer production Springfield Armory INC barrel, as well as an HRA bolt. However, it has been "accurized" as the stock has been bedded and the NM parts added. I can't wait to pick up some M2 ball ammo and some Hornady Match Garand safe 30-06 to try at the range.

Here are some pictures along with some other rifles I own.

Svvy9P2.jpg

hbmjPZB.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    What part of TX are you in? I have some surplus M2 ammo. They are addictive to own. I've had 2 tanker models and I have a Springfield that I'll never part with.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Thanks to my Uncle, I am now a proud Garand owner. I visited him yesterday and we both shot this beautiful rifle for the first time since he bought it 25 years ago. When I went to leave, he told me to take it with him since he knew it'd be in good hands and remain in the family.

It is a 5.3 million serial # rifle, which from what I can tell points to 1955. It's a Springfield, with a National Match barrel, with NM front and rear sights. I do not believe this is an original National Match due to it having a newer production Springfield Armory INC barrel, as well as an HRA bolt. However, it has been "accurized" as the stock has been bedded and the NM parts added. I can't wait to pick up some M2 ball ammo and some Hornady Match Garand safe 30-06 to try at the range.

Here are some pictures along with some other rifles I own.

Svvy9P2.jpg

hbmjPZB.jpg
    Congradulations on the Garand and you have a very nice assortment of rifles. If anyone knows a good place to get some surplus Garand ammo? I'd be interested as well.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Congrats and welcome to the club. I'd highly suggest getting into reloading for it, if you're not already into reloading. The 9th Edition of Hornady's reloading book has a small but decent section on reloading for specifically for the Garand. As you have to be careful about the selection of ammo for the Garand, reloading will save you over having to buy factory specific ammo for it, and you can fine tune it to get the most out of all the accurizing that has been done to it (that surplus M2 ball will not).

00ChevyScott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Arlington, TX
    Congrats and welcome to the club. I'd highly suggest getting into reloading for it, if you're not already into reloading. The 9th Edition of Hornady's reloading book has a small but decent section on reloading for specifically for the Garand. As you have to be careful about the selection of ammo for the Garand, reloading will save you over having to buy factory specific ammo for it, and you can fine tune it to get the most out of all the accurizing that has been done to it (that surplus M2 ball will not).

For now, I'm not in a situation where I can reload. When I buy a house in the next 5 years or so, I will definitely look into it more.

On another note, how prevalent are Garand shooting matches in the DFW area?

GarandShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    Beautiful rifle! The fact that it was handed down makes it even better! My Garand is easily my favorite rifle of all that I've owned or shot. Looking forward to some range reports from you. Have fun!

wtxj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    DFW
    For now, I'm not in a situation where I can reload. When I buy a house in the next 5 years or so, I will definitely look into it more.

Parker County Sportsman Club--look it up. Matches 4 or 5 times a year. Near Poolville, Tx if the spelling is right on the town. Not out of site mileage wise for you. Got to be a member.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas

You are in luck got one this weekend coming up, the following is copied from the site you need to visit and become familiar with. Civilian Marksmanship Program |

Terrell Rifle and Pistol Club 2014 GSM Clinic/As-Issued Military

11/14/14
    Terrell, TX

The John C. Garand Match is the CMP's most popular CMP Games event held during the National Matches. The course of fire is 15 shots slow-fire prone (first 5 shots are sighters); 10 shots rapid-fire prone; 10 shots slow fire standing. All shot from 200 yards.

The Springfield match is one of the CMP's most popular events. All competitors use a M1903 Springfiled. The course of fire is 15 shots slow-fire prone (first 5 shots are sighters); 10 shots rapid-fire prone; 10 shots slow fire standing. All shot from 200 yards.

The Vintage Military Rifle match is one of the CMP's most popular events. All competitors use a M1903 Springfiled. The course of fire is 15 shots slow-fire prone (first 5 shots are sighters); 10 shots rapid-fire prone; 10 shots slow fire standing. All shot from 200 yards.

A CMP-sanctioned clinic taught by a CMP Master Instructor is an event hosted or sponsored by a CMP affiliated organization where match sponsors agree to use CMP Competition Rules and CMP standards for the conduct of clinics.

CMP-Sanctioned Clinics may be offered for M1 Garand, Springfield, Vintage Military, Rimfire Sporter, M1 Carbine, Unlimited Garand or Modern Military. For all sanctioned clinics that are taught by certified Master Instructors, the CMP also provides CMP Rifle Clinic Student Guides that can be used as a student text.

Contact

For match info, contact: John Edward Jebavy Phone:972-612-2736

Top Bottom