• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZakBradshaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I am looking for the components to reload 6.5x55 Swedish for my Swedish Mauser. Where can I find these components the cheapest? Does anyone here have any used 6.5x55 brass they don't need or want? Does anyone know what grain/style of bullet will be best for longer range, yet retaining some knock down power?

If anyone has any components in the DFW area, I have a 3 gallon air compressor I could trade. Zak.
    Target Sports

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    For long range shooting you'll want to opt for a heavier than usual grain weight. You usually get better BC (ballistic coefficient) out of it and that means less speed drop and flatter flight paths.

Having shot in a few 6.5s this past week, I can say that the round is on my "wouldn't mind having" list.

As far as the brass, it'll be hard to come by, you might try Gunbroker for it, or I can recommend buying good new brass to start with. You can get an easy 10 reloads out of the brass, so it's cost per round is mitigated.

ZakBradshaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Yeah, I will probably end up doing that. I think Remington brass is like $22 for 50 from Cabelas. I only asked on here because I figured someone may have some they don't need that they wouldn't mind trading. I'm only 18, so I don't have much money. Zak.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Pretty much everybody's 140 grain or equivalent bullet will shoot well in Swedes. As for brass, Graf and Sons has 6.5x55 brass in stock, in Winchester, Remington, Lapua, and Norma.

ZakBradshaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fort Worth
    6.5x55 is one of my absolute favorite calibers....

i have about 200 rds stored for hunting, Hornady light magnum, ballistic tips.

and they work awesomely on whitetail out to 300 yds.

Thats what I hear from everyone. I was actually given my 1906 Swedish Mauser by my uncle. I've had it for a month or two. He gave it to me as a project gun. The barrel has been professionally shortened to 24", the stock sporterized (Cut back to behind the front barrel band, terrible job, they cut it straight off without rounding it, and they cut and chiseled out "v"s behind the receiver where it looked like they were trying to do some custom carving), the bolt handle has been professionally turned down, the receiver has been drilled and tap, and has scope mounts. When he gave it to me it was all in pieces. the barrel was zip tied to the stock, magazine, trigger assembly, etc was completely apart, and after a week of non-stop working on it, I cleaned it all up and reassembled it. Rifling looks excellent. I want to put it in a synthetic stock, bi-pod, and sling. I already have a good M44 carbine with iron sights for short distances, so I want to make this my longer distance gun. Here's a picture of it after all the work I did. Zak.

I fixed all the stock things they did to it, rounded the end of the stock, smoothed/feathered in the "v"s, and fixed a crack in the butt, etc...

DSC02708.gif

ZakBradshaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fort Worth
    i have a synthetic stock on mine that i don't want anymore...

want to work something out on it...?

i am going to get a laminated thumbhole stock to match my large ring .30-06 interarms.

that way i will have twins.

Is it for a Small Ring Mauser? What do you want for it? I have a 3 gallon air compressor I can trade for it. I'm 18, so I don't have a bunch of cash. Let me know what we can do. Zak.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As far as brass, buy some Privi or Wolf Gold loaded ammunition. I buy that ammo to get boxer-primed military brass. It's about the only place to get boxer primed 7.5 Swiss.

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Zak have you shot that clean like a whistle sks yet I am dieing to know how it shoots since i never got a chance to fire it ,

i also have one of the carl gustav 6.5x55's as well I hope to get reloading for it soon but hte brass isn't super easy to get your hands on,so save any you get and one day we will gettogether and load it up !

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yep for a small ring, i have 3 air compressors so i don't need another one.

we might be able to work something out...

post a price for your syn. stock I would like to help Zak get it he is a pretty good guy and as he says only 18 and has the enthusiasim of the shooting sports i wish more of the younger generation had.

yes Zak I want to help you out getting that stock , you remind me of me at 18 , plus i hope you make it to the december 13th shoot at elm fork.

ZakBradshaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Hey Zak have you shot that clean like a whistle sks yet I am dieing to know how it shoots since i never got a chance to fire it ,

i also have one of the carl gustav 6.5x55's as well I hope to get reloading for it soon but hte brass isn't super easy to get your hands on,so save any you get and one day we will gettogether and load it up !

Yes I did shoot the SKS. It shot great. I put the 100 rounds through it I got, and not one jam, and it is extremely accurate. I love the gun. It is my favorite by far, even more than my Taurus 1911, and I paid over twice as much for it. I'm afraid to put too much wear on the original stock, so I'm considering putting it in a synthetic, but I'm not sure yet. Zak.

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Zak , try military gun supply they may have a good price on a used sks stock or even ebay.

Hicap , I live in richardson , 197.6 miles from OX but i hope to get there this weekend for a little r&r and maybe a deer.
    lets work out something for the stock for Zak. I will pm you my phone number and email .

ZakBradshaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fort Worth
    post a price for your syn. stock I would like to help Zak get it he is a pretty good guy and as he says only 18 and has the enthusiasim of the shooting sports i wish more of the younger generation had.

yes Zak I want to help you out getting that stock , you remind me of me at 18 , plus i hope you make it to the december 13th shoot at elm fork.

I am 18, and I do enjoy shooting, definitely my favorite hobby. I got my first .22 when I was 7 (It was my Dad's first .22 when he was a kid), and I went from there. I think I've owned a total of 11 guns so far, but only currently own 4. Yeah, I've always grown up with guns, but no one I know that is my age has ever shot one, and many of them have never even handled one. People shelter their kids from guns because they are seen as a negative thing, and parents think if they keep their kids ignorant to it then nothing could happen. But what they don't understand is that kids that have never been around something and have always been told something is bad, then it makes them curious. That's how these accidental shootings happen. Luckily, my dad raised me around guns.

I really would appreciate you helping me out to get that stock. Maybe I will be able to make it to that shoot, it's only a day after my 19th birthday. Zak.

ZakBradshaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Zak , try military gun supply they may have a good price on a used sks stock or even ebay.

Hicap , I live in richardson , 197.6 miles from OX but i hope to get there this weekend for a little r&r and maybe a deer.
    lets work out something for the stock for Zak. I will pm you my phone number and email .

I actually just went to the military gun supply just a couple weeks ago. They had some neat stuff. Their prices on their guns was pretty reasonable too. I don't remember seeing any SKS's or stocks though. Maybe I will go back and take another look. I'm always up for going and looking at shooting stores. I just about make a trip to Cabela's once a week, usually just to look around, but sometimes I pick up a box of ammo or two. Zak.

ZakBradshaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fort Worth
    that's pretty cool man...

i wonder how good you were over all for the year...only time will tell.

Haha, I think i was pretty good. I'm not much of a trouble maker. And, my girlfriend asked me what caliber the rifle is... I asked why, and she says she is getting me a couple boxes for my birthday. I love December. Birthday on the 12th, and then Christmas... The same uncle that is getting me the dies, he works for a machining company near Austin. Well they started making hammers for 1911's with a longhorn cut into it. He got me one for my Taurus for my birthday. It's pretty cool because he is the one that actually made it. And, my parents are getting me a synthetic stock for my SKS...

ZakBradshaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fort Worth
    where'd you get that stock from...?

Haha, well... Craig...(Junkyguns), but inadvertently, you. Thanks! It looks really good. My Dad had some sling swivels he gave me, so now I just need a sling and a bipod (Thinking about the Harris one). Oh, and some ammo... But I'm working on that! I designed some custom ammo boxes for 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, and .223 and I've been selling them on SKS Boards, so I used that to buy some brass and bullets. I've already got the primers, so now I'll I need is powder and dies. Zak.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom