Finish on Kimber Ultra TLE 2, any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NoLove

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Corpus Christi
    I have a Kimber Ultra TLE 2 (all black) that the manufacturers protective/decorative finish is far below par. I just bought the pistol about 6 weeks ago and already in just 4 trips to the shooting range and what I would not call excessive holstering/unholstering of the pistol I am seeing many spots in the finish that any durable finish would have laughed at. The slide is made of aluminum and I understand adhering issues arise with that metal but the slide which is steel is also too weak.

Can anyone recommend a better finish for my pistol?
    I have heard many mixed and bad reviews of Kimpro so I am already ruling that finish out, please any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    DK Firearms

NoLove

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Corpus Christi
    LOL my bad I meant to write the slide is steel and the frame is aluminum. Brain lapse.
    Looks like I am going to be sending them my Kimber. I will post pics of the finish before and after once I get the pistol back from them.
    Thank you Sig_Fiend for your help, I appreciate it.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Robar has some great guns and finishes and if you can afford what they charge it may be worth it to you to have it done.
    First thing may be to contact Kimber and request assistance. I bet they fix it and make it right for free. They will tell you out of hand that it's not covered but this is so far below par they should take it back with a short conversation. Finishes sometimes don't get mixed right and don't cure hard. I bet thats what you got. Normally I recommend alumahide II as a tough coating but not over a soft or weak base. Bead blasting might run $30.00 and the alumahide $20.00 and you will have plenty for many coats or several guns. You cam also save the can for touchups and all finishes require the occasional touchup.

NoLove

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Corpus Christi
    Hmph.. To tell you the truth I really hadn't considered using that route on the thinking that if I sent it back they would just finish again like it was stock and therefore be a waste of time. I hadn't considered that maybe something like you mentioned about the mixing or other circumstances might be present from the manufacturing or application of the finish. I will give them a call and see what they say.
    Thanks for the thought.

PocketGroove

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    DFW
    I have a Kimber Ultra TLE 2 (all black) that the manufacturers protective/decorative finish is far below par.

In golf, "below par" is excellent.
    I'd have to say the Kim Pro II Finish on aluminum is a quadruple-bogey. :banghead: It really sucks something fierce. Luckily, my aluminum frame cdp ii is my carry gun so if the black wears off, I don't give a crap. From what I've read, even when the black wears off, the sweat/salt resistant properties of the finish remain...at least i hope.

Top Bottom