Gun Zone Deals

Firearm Check-in Procedures at Austin Bergstrom International Airport. I have ?'s

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sprfins88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Killeen
    Hello, new to this forum. So I am flying to California and driving back to Texas soon. Was wondering if anyone on this site has direct experience with checking in a firearm at ABIA. Was it easy? What hints or tips could u give me. What could slow my check in time, or have me leave my weapon behind? I just want to hear your experience. I have read the TSA's and my airline's policies plenty of times. I also understand the firearm transportation laws of the states I am traveling through. California being the absolute worse,thankfully only driving 3 hours there. Thanks, hope to hear that all will go well!
    DK Firearms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    DFW / Amarillo
    Follow the TSA rules and check in as an easy process. I fly with firearms a lot. Texas will not enforce California law, but be careful of what you take to the Commie Republic of California. I would make sure that your guns are in line with their regs. Happy Travels.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Checking a firearm in at the airport is easy, just call or check the airline's web site for procedures. Usually all you have to do is have it packed in a locked hard case within your luggage and away from any ammo. Declare it when you check your baggage at the counter, and they'll have you show it is locked and unloaded. They'll drop a paper inside your luggage and away it goes. That's how the process has gone at every airport I've flown through with a weapon, I doubt Austin-Bergstrom will be any different.

However, carrying or even possessing a firearm in California is what I'd be more concerned about. Be sure you are able to legally even have it with you, and there's no chance you'll be able to load it or carry it concealed. Be 100% sure of the laws beforehand, even with only being there for a couple of hours...

Cheers! M2

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    If you've got a really cool gun, you're required by Federal law to leave it with me for the duration of your trip.
    I'll have the decency to take it to the range daily to ensure it stays in good working order.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Although not Austin/Bergstrom specific, this is the most informative video I've found about flying with firearms and it's well worth the hour or so watch:

[video=vimeo;3923535]http://www.vimeo.com/3923535[/video]

And a newer version that's slightly shorter:

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    Checking a firearm in at the airport is easy, just call or check the airline's web site for procedures. Usually all you have to do is have it packed in a locked hard case within your luggage and away from any ammo. Declare it when you check your baggage at the counter, and they'll have you show it is locked and unloaded. They'll drop a paper inside your luggage and away it goes. That's how the process has gone at every airport I've flown through with a weapon, I doubt Austin-Bergstrom will be any different.

I have flown from ABIA many times and this is EXACTLY how it worked every time.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Checking a firearm in at the airport is easy, just call or check the airline's web site for procedures. Usually all you have to do is have it packed in a locked hard case within your luggage and away from any ammo.

Make sure you check TSA procedures too. Would suck to find out you were given incorrect info from the airline.

. Declare it when you check your baggage at the counter, and they'll have you show it is locked and unloaded. They'll drop a paper inside your luggage and away it goes. That's how the process has gone at every airport I've flown through with a weapon, I doubt Austin-Bergstrom will be any different.

At DFW, AA does not check anything; as soon as you declare firearm they hand you off to TSA.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Make sure you check TSA procedures too. Would suck to find out you were given incorrect info from the airline.

At DFW, AA does not check anything; as soon as you declare firearm they hand you off to TSA.

Must vary by ticket agent. My last agent had me open my luggage and show the weapon unloaded. Returning from El Paso the agent did not

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    They all do it differently which is hilarious.....San Antonio nor LA asked me to open anything or even asked any questions. They merely gave me a card to insert into my luggage containing the gun.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Must vary by ticket agent. My last agent had me open my luggage and show the weapon unloaded. Returning from El Paso the agent did not

This was at Terminal D as recently as last week.

TSA then opened the luggage and inspected every item, pulled the gun (Glock 19) and inspected it and also did an explosives sniff on the bag.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Last time I flew with a gun; at the Austin airport the TSA agent asked me to open the case, he kinda glanced at it and said, "ok enjoy your trip." It's been my experience that the TSA in Austin are a pretty laid back bunch. On the return flight, they didn't even open it. Just swabbed the outside of the case and put the swab in the chem sniffer. It's been about a year since I've flown, tho. Don't know if anything has changed.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This was at Terminal D as recently as last week.

TSA then opened the luggage and inspected every item, pulled the gun (Glock 19) and inspected it and also did an explosives sniff on the bag.

Ok. I flew out of terminal A. She had me open luggage, showed gun, take bag to TSA, who reinspected and sent thru machine.

Top Bottom