• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    At $1800 bucks, they will accomplish what they are seeking: fewer (legal) gun owners. Must folks won't pay that amount for a dang 22 pistol.

Meanwhile, gang bangers will continue to roll the streets with AK's and other weapons.
    Venture Surplus ad

kotetu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2013
    Houston
    Borepatch: Pondering "Smart" guns

Borepatch identifies the "smartgun" endgame very concisely:
    And so it's entirely plausible that someone could make up some sort of fob that scans for these guns and then runs an exploit against them, disabling them. In other words, the "Bad Guy" Smart Gun® wristwatch beats the Good Guy™ wristwatch and when Good Guy pulls the trigger there's no boom.

If these sorts of guns ever become popular (because all others are banned), I expect to see this sort of attack pretty quickly. The Computer Security crowd leans pretty heavily towards gun rights, and pretty much hates most forms of Big Government douchebaggery, and so this would get a lot of attention for the guys who pulled it off. In other words, the motivation to do the investigation is high.

But that's not why I'll never own one of these. This is:

State Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco) on Friday is expected to introduce legislation requiring all smartphones and tablets sold in the state to contain a so-called "kill switch," which would render the device inoperable if it was lost or stolen. The bill, which is sponsored by San Francisco Attorney General George Gascón, would apply to any device sold after Jan. 1, 2015.
    So once only "Smart" guns can be sold, how long until there's a legally required backdoor in the software that allows the Authorities to disable the weapon from a distance? Do we measure that timespan in minutes or milliseconds?

Top Bottom