• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, I've gone through most of the 500rds I did in my first batch. The first 50rds ran fine, but maybe I should have tested a few more before doing 450 more rounds LOL:

5.0gr Blue Dot
    Berries 147gr RN Plated
    1.168 OAL
    Federal #100 primers

I'm using a standard Glock 17, and I just replaced all my springs. 5.0gr was the minimum listed in the Speer book for this load. I had the occasional FTE, and could tell these things were shooting pretty darn light. I'm thinking I will step it up to ~5.2gr and see how that works. I'm not stuck on Blue Dot or anything, but basically just trying to come up with a cheap, light load for basic range practice. Blue Dot just seems to be one of those common powders that you can always find around, which was part of the reason I tried it this time. If anyone has any light load they've tried and have found to work well, I'd be glad to hear about it.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    147 gr. Berry's RN
    3.1 gr. Win 231
    CCI small pistol
    1.169" OAL

This is what I'm shooting with a Glock 19. Very soft recoil and accurate. I thought I would need to seat the bullet deeper to take up the extra room in the case, but it ended up being very consistent on the chrony. I had it shooting with 2.9 grains, but like you, after a few rounds the gun started to FTE. I bumped up to 3.1 and it cycles fine. I think the glocks have a tendency to heat up and bind a bit.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Try seating to 1.155 - 1.160 OAL ... that will add a little more gusto to the rounds. I am seating at 1.135" with 3.0 gr. of Titegroup, we shall see how that works.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    I used 1 lb of Blue Dot once. There is no way you can double charge. I believe it flashes more than any other powder I ever used. It also takes more powder than any other I ever tried and the 115 and 124 is compressed. I also set all my 9mm loads at 1.130 OAL. I let you borrow my chrono if you want. I can drop it off at Alans house.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Bumping this one back up to see what the results were. How'd the rest of your load work-up go Sig ?

The pistol powders that I will never be without are W231, Unique, Titegroup and Trailboss. Titegroup is my most used powder, I've used it in everything from .32shorts to 500SW with great results.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I think he just did that one load, and it was a bit on the weak side. It just needed a tad bit more behind it to be 100% ... from what I remember.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I used 1 lb of Blue Dot once. There is no way you can double charge. I believe it flashes more than any other powder I ever used. It also takes more powder than any other I ever tried and the 115 and 124 is compressed. I also set all my 9mm loads at 1.130 OAL. I let you borrow my chrono if you want. I can drop it off at Alans house.

What was that load you used that made all that damn noise? ... 4.0 grs. of Blue Dot behind a 115 FMJ?

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    That is a below-starting load of Blue Dot. For a light load, you should use a faster powder for "optimum" performance. I use AA2, AA5, 231/HP38, and Green Dot for light loads and save the Blue Dot for high velocity.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom