• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    For your price range, I would either get a stripped BCM midlength upper (www.bravocompanyusa.com), add a BCG and charging handle, and buy a Magpul MOE handguard - OR - get an upper from PSA (www.palmettostatearmory.com) and if they don't have have BCGs in stock, shop around. Check out www.arpartsfinder.com if you don't know about it... and unless you're building for looks alone, I would save the money you would spend on a muzzle device and keep the A2 birdcage - there's a reason why our military still uses it. Use the money instead to put down on a better trigger (Geissele maybe?), upper, etc... Good luck.

Good stuff man, but I need to get a complete upper. Im willing to attempt the lower, but the upper intimidates the crap outa me...
    And I dont have the tools to try it....

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"
    ARJ Defense ad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Good stuff man, but I need to get a complete upper. Im willing to attempt the lower, but the upper intimidates the crap outa me...
    And I dont have the tools to try it....

I shouldn't have used the term stripped - BCM sells complete uppers sans handguard, BCG and charging handle. Changing out or adding standard handguards (non free-float) is easy. I bought a tool before I even tried it and ended up not even needing it. I've never used it. Just pull the delta ring assembly down - if you need help, get a friend... and if you're gonna own an AR, you need to know how to install a BCG and charging handle. PSA will probably net you the most for your $. This one is a good deal and it's on sale now: PSA Hammer-Forged Mid-length SQR Premium 14.7'' Stripped Railed Upper - Without BCG or Charging Handle Add a charging handle and BCG and you're in business. That's a nice upper for the price.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I shouldn't have used the term stripped - BCM sells complete uppers sans handguard, BCG and charging handle. Changing out or adding standard handguards (non free-float) is easy. I bought a tool before I even tried it and ended up not even needing it. I've never used it. Just pull the delta ring assembly down - if you need help, get a friend... and if you're gonna own an AR, you need to know how to install a BCG and charging handle. PSA will probably net you the most for your $. This one is a good deal and it's on sale now: PSA Hammer-Forged Mid-length SQR Premium 14.7'' Stripped Railed Upper - Without BCG or Charging Handle Add a charging handle and BCG and you're in business. That's a nice upper for the price.

That upper is cool. I'm thinking of selling my NIB DPMS AR to make this build a little better. Thanks for the link, I definately like it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    That upper is cool. I'm thinking of selling my NIB DPMS AR to make this build a little better. Thanks for the link, I definately like it.

No problem. The FN barrel on that is worth more than half the price of the upper IMO. No matter what though, get 4150 steel and make sure your barrel is chrome lined. Let us know what you decide on.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I'm going to keep track of the build in this thread. The parts and progress, as I go along.
    Skip

fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    Skip. Good luck on the build. Nice meeting you, greg and vila-something-sounding-cool-first-name. Lol. Bill.

Nice meeting you too Bill, thanks for the parts and the advices on the AR build info.

I usually get my name pronounce like Foster but is Fausto. ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPRBwKsAC46_A0NFd31KYJo3HBVVWzTm7EjGqsljGxBh7a2ES6uw.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I just need to gigure out what I want for the upper, I was thinking 16", a quadrail, but I dont know what twist, brand, flash hider.

I like a 16" barrel, just because going 20" doesn't really gain you anything. Mid-length gas system is a good fit for that barrel, and my next barrel will be a 1:8 twist for those times I want to shoot something a little over 70 grain. Probably go with a mid-weight profile, but I keep thinking about going light. We'll have to see.

Muzzle device; what do you want to do with the gun? You can make the gun stay on target a lot better with a good brake, you can get a good flash hider (the regular A2 works fine), you can get a QD flash hider or brake that will work with a suppressor later on... If you want, you can just screw an A2 flash hider on there and decide later. Changing the muzzle device on a non-pinned rifle is easy - 7/8" wrench and away you go!

If a quad rail is what you like, go for it. I'm not a fan of them, and IMO a free float tube (be a man and go 15" tube) that accepts rail sections is a better choice.

Good call on the JP trigger. I'm very happy with mine.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I just need to gigure out what I want for the upper, I was thinking 16", a quadrail, but I dont know what twist, brand, flash hider.

I broke the bank, went with an 18" noveske midweight, 1:8 twist intermediate gas system with a 15" troy alpha rail. I like it. I do have a lighter setup, a 16" pencil weight 1:7 twist setup too with a 13.8" alpha rail combined with a pickatinny railed gas block. At the time I bought the palmetto state 1:7 16" bbl, I could not source a 1:9 16" featherweight such as from ar15barrels.com. No one had em in stock. I might look again. Supplies are starting to loosen up a bit. Both barrels are mounted to aero precision uppers. I've got a yankee hill machine barrel nut on the 16" lightweight setup and an aac blackout flash hider on the 18" noveske setup.

Last edited:

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio

So still moving forward... picked the PSA upper. It should be here in a few days. Only snag seems to be the BCG, everbody is out of stock...
    The BCG and the charging handle is all that is left. :cool:

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Picked TXARGUY'S Boise Tactical BCG and Magpul trigger guard.
    Only thing left is the charging handle...

Top Bottom