• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mindseducer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2024
    Houston
    Hello everyone! I’m looking to make my first AR purchase. There’s so many competitors out there I just really can’t decide what to get. Does anyone have any recommendations from their personal experiences? Since it’s my first I want it to be “affordable” but obviously don’t want it to be crap. OR would any of y’all recommend building your first AR before purchasing one? Or is it better just to get one and learn about the parts and all that and then build one later down the line?
    Texas SOT

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    What are you trying to do with it and how much do you want to spend?

I don’t really think there is much value in building one unless you can’t buy one that’s built how you want.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    All my experience has been building my own. I’ve done it this way because I can put what I want into the rifle or on it. I do t always save any money doing it this way but it’s put together with what I want. I’m piecing together a wilson combat with all wilson combat parts because I can. They won’t touch the rifle if I have any issues with it because they didn’t assemble it there but I don’t care. Building your own just helps a bit with understanding how it all works together and what goes into swapping out or replacing parts. It’s a pretty simple rifle to build with the correct tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    All my experience has been building my own. I’ve done it this way because I can put what I want into the rifle or on it. I do t always save any money doing it this way but it’s put together with what I want. I’m piecing together a wilson combat with all wilson combat parts because I can. They won’t touch the rifle if I have any issues with it because they didn’t assemble it there but I don’t care. Building your own just helps a bit with understanding how it all works together and what goes into swapping out or replacing parts. It’s a pretty simple rifle to build with the correct tools.

+1

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Smith and Wesson M&P rifle aren’t bad. I know PSA has been mentioned as well as del-ton and knights armament. If you have the cash look at Daniel defense, noveske, Springfield armory, bcm just to name a few

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    I bought a S&W M&P for my first one. It shoots well but the trigger is so so, but I don't want to mess with it. Keeping it original as it came out of the box if I ever sell it. Cost wise it was around $500. Since then I have built a few.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Without an understanding of the operation of an AR, how would you expect to assemble a better AR than you would purchase assembled with a warranty? I know a pilot who designed and built an aircraft, but he acquired years of knowledge and experience flying before attempting this task.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I would suggest first thing you do is find an FFL holder near you that aint going to rob you in a transfer. Having the money up front, saving him using his might go a long ways in buying it reasonably. I found a FFL out here by me who takes care of me.
    Colts have collector value
    FN has military contracts
    LMT, Laru, Knights, LWRC, POF USA, Geissele are nicer high end guns.

Assembling your own is great way to learn how to take care of your rifle & maintain it. Assembling a rifle gives you option you might liquor want not offered by any one company.

Hit guns store to look and handle different rifles take notes & compare. Then look online to find deals. Remember that the AR platform is very broad in what is offered. Buying a top of the line factory lower goes very long way. You can change uppers to fill goals latter in life.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Without an understanding of the operation of an AR, how would you expect to assemble a better AR than you would purchase assembled with a warranty? I know a pilot who designed and built an aircraft, but he acquired years of knowledge and experience flying before attempting this task.

I’ve built every single AR I’ve ever owned. The only real decisions to make are large frame or small frame and gas or piston. ARs are fairly simply and keeping it to small frame makes it pretty fool proof regardless of caliber. Even just assembling an AP lower with LaRue MBT and throwing a complete BCM upper on it gets you far more quality then buying a complete budget AR for close to the same money.

The EAB homebuilt argument is a non-sequitur; nothing about flying an aircraft translates to building, whether it’s plans built or kit built, and whether you have a PPL or an ATP certificate.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    While FN guns look nice, they aren't legally allowed to use knowledge of the TDP on commercial guns, so you get things like 4140 vs 4150 barrels, plus a number of other minor differences.

Top Bottom