• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    Here within the next couple weeks I will be purchasing my first bolt action rifle. My purpose is to have fun at the range at long distances and possibly decrease the cyote population at my dads farm every once in a while. I am pretty set on caliber (30-06 or .308). I want something I can go out 100 yards then go out 500 yards. I will probably be going used to save some money. Definitley want to mount optics. My price range is around $400. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Gun Zone Deals

texasislandboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    SA
    400$ is gonna be hard for a nice bolt gun if you just want a ok gun try the howa brand or even savage has some cheaper models but your gonna want to put a nicer scope on it around 300 bucks or so

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    At $400 I would look at a weatherby vanguard at academy. They shoot 1- 1-5MOA. Look at one in 25-06 or 308.
    You will need a scope and I would spend as much on the scope as you do on the rifle.

texasislandboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    SA
    i had the marlin when they first came out... the trigger was nice but the barrel sucked... three scopes and it still shot all over hell

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    i had the marlin when they first came out... the trigger was nice but the barrel sucked... three scopes and it still shot all over hell

Seen a lot of reviews of both rifles, but never see anyone say they aren't good shooters for the price. Did you send it back to Marlin to be fixed?

weiss27md

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Pflugerville, TX
    I would recommend .308 and a Nikon scope. Nikon scopes are reasonably priced and I think they're great. I'm always comparing scopes and Nikon always takes the cake, good priced and well made. .308 is good easily to 500 yards. Most people would say .30-06 but .308 will perform just as good at a lower price and more availability. .308 is good easily to 500 yards because in the military we all shoot 500 yards 5.56 open sights.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Have u looked at a Mosin Nagant or a Mauser both are great bolt rifles and inexpensive especially the Mosin :) that was my first bolt gun.

yep.

a nice mauser in 308 / 3006 can be had for under 200 bucks if you dont mind some "character" marks on the stock and such

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I just looked on academy's website and it shows remington 700 30-06 ADL for $379. Looks pretty good to me. I alreadt have a redfield revolution scope that I love. I had it mounted on my AK for a while.

th_scope042.gif

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

texasislandboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    SA
    Seen a lot of reviews of both rifles, but never see anyone say they aren't good shooters for the price. Did you send it back to Marlin to be fixed?
    i did not i sold it for really cheap with 2 scopes and ammo told the guy it had never been able to sight in too

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Check out surplus rifles, most can be scope mounted via scout scope fairly easily. There are a number of scope mounting options dependent upon the rifle chosen. Mausers are excellent actions and you can usually find them well within your price range. My first bolt was a Swedish Mauser (25 years ago) Currently have a number of bolt actions, only one is scoped which is an 8mm Turk that I did a lot of work on.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 25-06 and 30-06 both with Nikons on top. I absolutely love them and would recommend them in a heartbeat. They are both sub MOA guns if I do my job.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    I use a mossberg 100 it's cheap and will get you in the door on bolt guns why spend 500 on a gun and another 500 on a scope just to kill coyotes with

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    I have a savage 10FP that I would be willing to unload for around what you are looking to spend. I may even have a base and some rings we could make a deal on as well.

Shoot me a PM

Top Bottom