• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    any school of thought on what to learn on? full size vs compact, rimfire vs centerfire.

ive put maybe 100rds through a few different semiautos. id be best served just throwing the gun at the target but thinkin lately about pickin something up to practice on.
    Hurley's Gold

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I'd try finding a range that has a bunch for rent. Find out what feels good and that you can shoot accurately.
    One mans gold is another mans crap.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    A rimfire pistol like the Ruger MkIII or the Browning Buckmark is a fine place to start. A mid to full sized 9mm isn't bad either.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yup, always shoot a bunch.

Generally, rimfire is a good place to start. It's also a pain in the ass to find right now.

I'd say next bet would be a full size 9mm. Recoil is going to be minimal and sight radius will be longer.

Do lots of dry firing, get some snap caps if you want. Check and double check the chamber first.

Oh, and try a bunch of different guns before you buy. Tough as hell to pick the right gun when it's your first cause you won't know exactly what you like.

So recap: shoot a bunch if guns, ESP full size. Rimfire a are good and ammo is cheap if you can find it. 9mm cost more but is pretty available now. Dry fire is a really good way to improve.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Dude, you're moving to San Marcos. PM me. I've got all kinds of pistols to shoot. I haven't been in the game that long, but some work with you, some don't. Come to some of the TGT shoots and you can wrap your head around things from .22's to behemoths.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I would say pick whatever you like, without even shooting it, then learn how to shoot it well.

Or you could not waste money and find a gun that actually fits your hand and allows you to shoot to the best of your ability.

But yeah, buyin blind sounds good too. Nothin wrong with wasting a ton of ammo trying to shoot a gun that doesn't fit you then selling it for a loss to buy what could have been bought in the first place.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I would say pick whatever you like, without even shooting it, then learn how to shoot it well.

If I would have followed this logic, I'd be stuck with a glock.

I used to love glocks because of what people put them through. Then, I actually shot one of my buddies and instantly hated it. Now, I have a M&P with a much better grip and can do just as much as a glock-abuse wise.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    If I would have followed this logic, I'd be stuck with a glock.

I used to love glocks because of what people put them through. Then, I actually shot one of my buddies and instantly hated it. Now, I have a M&P with a much better grip and can do just as much as a glock-abuse wise.

and just like that, SJ now has the worst advice ever....GET A GLOCK!....Glock is always the answer!

On a scale of purple to banana, where 3 is salsa and 7 is sexy....how dog are you?....answer...GLOCK!

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    and just like that, SJ now has the worst advice ever....GET A GLOCK!....Glock is always the answer!

On a scale of purple to banana, where 3 is salsa and 7 is sexy....how dog are you?....answer...GLOCK!

I laughed way too much at this.

Start with something that feels comfortable and has manageable recoil. Go to a store and handle a few that interest you and then either find a range that rents them or somebody willing to let you try theirs (hint: TGT meets are an excellent place for this). Chances are that if you ask in advance one of us on here has one of whatever it may be.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    any school of thought on what to learn on? full size vs compact, rimfire vs centerfire.

ive put maybe 100rds through a few different semiautos. id be best served just throwing the gun at the target but thinkin lately about pickin something up to practice on.

read replies 2 thru 5 ONLY (the others are a children's chatroom) then go to another forum if you need more info

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

I really think the 22 rimfire is the best place to start. First, make it your mission to find some 22lr ammo. Try not to pay more than 10 cents a round. 500 rounds would be a good start. Then get a Ruger Mark I, Mark II or Mark III. I know we have been saying it for over a year, but eventually .22 ammo will become more available.

Otherwise, if you can't find the 22 ammo, a full size 9mm is a good place to start. A decent starter might be an S&W SD9VE for around $280 - $315. The ammo for it is a lot easier to find right now than 22. More expensive, but can be had for 24 or 25 cents a round.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I would not start from the idea of buying something to learn on. Instead find a firearms instructor at a local range and talk to them. Figure out if you like them and if they can teach you how to shoot. Then learn on their guns. Once you have learned how "to drive a car" you will be much better informed on which "car" you want to buy. Don't worry. Any reputable instructor will be happy to teach you on their guns.

Top Bottom