First Sioux to Receive Medal of Honor

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by chevydeerhunter, Feb 26, 2008.

1. chevydeerhunter

chevydeerhunter Well-Known

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
  2. ReVrEnD_0341

ReVrEnD_0341 Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yup. About 57 years late.

RIP Warrior.

3. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Every time I read a story of a MOH recipient and their actions to be awarded such an honor, I am beside myself in awe at the sheer braveness of these people. Unfortunately it seems some have received the award far too late. If there is one group of individuals that "clank" when they walk, it's MOH recipients! ;)

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The men that earned the MoH deserve more than a piece of metal and some ribbon in my opinion. What's even more sad is the fact that he had to "hawk" his medals to some collector to afford to live. We should take better care of our vets.

5. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I could not agree more with this statement.

We need to reward those who have served so that the rest of us can walk freely through the streets instead of handing out Government checks to those who choose not to get off of their ass and participate.

The tail has wagged the dog long enough if you ask me.

6. drricktx

drricktx New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    San Marcos, TX
    Vets

I'm a Vietnam Disabled Vet but I'm almost ashamed to say so. I spent 2 months in a VA hospital after I got out of Nam for agent orange problems. Since then I've been healthy as a horse. Many vets were not so lucky.

A hunting buddy of mine from San Marcos turned out to be a real shocker to me. I've known him for 28 years and we've tipped many a glass together. It wasn't until we were at the deer lease...just the two of us around the campfire...drinking a little too much Jack and water...when he divulged that he held 2 Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star. I doubt more than a handfull of people outside of his immediate family even know this. He never talks about it. I've found that most of the guys that brag about their military service probably spent all of it stateside behind a typewriter.

So here's to all the Veterans everywhere...from any era....thanks for a job well done.
    Rick

7. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thank you sir for your service to our country. This is one young person that is not clueless (like so many are these days unfortunately) and has great respect for the sacrifices you've made.

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Nothing dishonorable about serving your country, it's certainly more than I can say for myself. Bear in mind that most deaths in the wars before antibiotics, rapid transport, and medics were caused by disease. Those men are still honorable because it is about your actions, not medals. Anyone that believes you should be shameful for being disabled should be beaten for their treasonous tongue.

9. Amen HK!

Drrick, You have nothing to be ashamed of Sir. I would like to thank you and all of this great countrys Veterans, from the bottom of my heart. Thank You Very Much for service and sacrifice for this county.

10. chevydeerhunter

chevydeerhunter Well-Known

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    +1
    They should be beaten with their OWN treasonous tongue!