Gun Zone Deals

First suppressor: 22 or centerfire pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have learned a pretty good amount about suppressors recently.

My primary gun interest is shooting defensive handguns. I liked the idea of getting a 45 suppressor for all my pistol needs however I am also considering getting a 22 suppressor first as I can use it on rifles and pistols and it will be much quieter.

What do you suggest for a first suppressor? 22 or centerfire pistol and which make and model do you suggest.

I posted a similar topic about 6 months ago but have since narrowed it down some.

I had the Silencerco ss sparrow recommended to me for the 22 suppressor and the Silencerco Osprey for centerfire pistols and 300 blackout.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My one and only suppressor (for now) is an AAC Ranger (I believe) for 5.56. It also works very well for my .22s.

Others a more knowledgeable about suppressors but I like the versatility of my choice.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    My one and only suppressor (for now) is an AAC Ranger (I believe) for 5.56. It also works very well for my .22s.

Others a more knowledgeable about suppressors but I like the versatility of my choice.

How often do you have to get your AAC cleaned from all the fouling from .22 lr? I picked up a Silencerco Sparrow as my first suppressor and I love it. My next purchase will be a good .308 suppressor to be used on my Remy 700 and my ARs...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    How often do you have to get your AAC cleaned from all the fouling from .22 lr? I picked up a Silencerco Sparrow as my first suppressor and I love it. My next purchase will be a good .308 suppressor to be used on my Remy 700 and my ARs...

Fouling hasn't been an issue yet.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    My rimfire suppressor is probably my favorite one I own. It's just plain fun to shoot.

I went with the SWR Spectre II because it is rated up to 5.7 x 28.

An honest Government has no fear of an armed population.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    How well do suppressors work with super sonic rounds? Is it significant to the point of not using ear pro? Or is the sonic boom still damaging? I've never been around them so I apologize for my ignorance.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I've shot a lot of Suppressors. I own 5.56 and 762 cans and 2 SBRs. My biggest NFA regret was not starting with a 22can. The most fun I've had with NFA stuff that's not full auto, is shooting 22 suppressed pistols. I have critters in my backyard that I could easily dispatch if I had a 22 can. I've rectified my problem, next month or 2 the ATF will approve my next set of stamps (which include two 22 cans).

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've shot a lot of Suppressors. I own 5.56 and 762 cans and 2 SBRs. My biggest NFA regret was not starting with a 22can. The most fun I've had with NFA stuff that's not full auto, is shooting 22 suppressed pistols. I have critters in my backyard that I could easily dispatch if I had a 22 can. I've rectified my problem, next month or 2 the ATF will approve my next set of stamps (which include two 22 cans).

Sounds like a clear endorsement of going for the 22 first.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Went with the Spectre II, mainly because I didn't want to have to worry about the o-rings in the sparrow, not a big deal, but I'm also kinda partial to SWR, they've been real cool with me when it comes to customer service (probably SilencerCo is no different but I don't have one of their cans as of yet.) I would do the Octane .45 for an all around pistol can, and then pick up a 30 cal or .338 for high power rifles. 3 cans and you're pretty much set for everything.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    A .22 can is 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a center fire can, so it's a smaller initial outlay if/when you add the cost of getting a Trust. They're also a lot lighter than the center fire cans, which makes them a lot of fun to shoot. Whatever .22 you go with, make sure you can take it apart for cleaning. Not all of them let you do that.

I see you're going to Silencer Shop. That's a great store.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Went with the Spectre II, mainly because I didn't want to have to worry about the o-rings in the sparrow, not a big deal, but I'm also kinda partial to SWR, they've been real cool with me when it comes to customer service (probably SilencerCo is no different but I don't have one of their cans as of yet.) I would do the Octane .45 for an all around pistol can, and then pick up a 30 cal or .338 for high power rifles. 3 cans and you're pretty much set for everything.

The O rings in the Sparrow are a concern why? Have to replace them like in a Remington 1100 or bad design?

A .22 can is 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a center fire can, so it's a smaller initial outlay if/when you add the cost of getting a Trust. They're also a lot lighter than the center fire cans, which makes them a lot of fun to shoot. Whatever .22 you go with, make sure you can take it apart for cleaning. Not all of them let you do that.

I see you're going to Silencer Shop. That's a great store.

Living in Austin isn't ALL bad.

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Aren't SWR and Silencer Co. the same company now?

Southeastern Weaponry Research | SWR Design and Manufacturing

Silencerco acquired SWR in the middle of 2011. SWR now has a proper R&D staff to develop innovative product and a manufacturing line to ensure the innovation is produced and available nationwide.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    The O rings in the Sparrow are a concern why? Have to replace them like in a Remington 1100 or bad design?

Living in Austin isn't ALL bad.

I don't think they're really anything to be concerned about, as they are easy to replace, even if SilencerCo went out of business, God forbid, if you know what size they are you can probably pick up 100 for $5 or something from some place that sells o-rings. But you gotta look after them make sure they are always in good shape. That's all. Don't have to worry about it with the Spectre II since the baffles are a stack of cups instead of a mono core.

Aren't SWR and Silencer Co. the same company now?

Southeastern Weaponry Research | SWR Design and Manufacturing

Silencerco acquired SWR in the middle of 2011. SWR now has a proper R&D staff to develop innovative product and a manufacturing line to ensure the innovation is produced and available nationwide.

Yeah SilencerCo bought SWR, but they are still like different brands under the same company. All those guys are awesome in my experience talking with them. Henry, the CEO of SWR, was particularly cool and helpful when I sent in my octane 9 to have it upgraded to the new HD spec, and he took care it for free and turned it around inside of week. Can't go wrong with SilencerCo/SWR, which ever can you choose.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I don't think they're really anything to be concerned about, as they are easy to replace, even if SilencerCo went out of business, God forbid, but if you know what size they are you can probably pick up 100 for $5 or something. But you gotta look after them make sure they are always in good shape. That's all. Don't have to worry about it with the Spectre II since the baffles are a stack of cups instead of a mono core.

Do you find your Spectre II easy to clean?

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Do you find your Spectre II easy to clean?

Yeah the whole thing is stainless steel (same as the sparrow with the exception of the o-rings I think) so you can toss it in an ultra-sonic cleaner. That's not a good idea with any aluminum parts. So I can't do that with the tube for my octane 9 for example. But the baffles for that one are stainless and the design protects the tube from any contact with gas and lead, so no worries, so long as you don't let it get so dirty that you can't get the baffles out. 22 cans are super dirty so you want to clean them often to prevent lead build up. That's not so much of a problem with jacketed bullets in a centerfire can.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    You can find a shitload of opinions on cleaning cans. I have atleast 5K through my sparrow and not cleaned yet. It actually does not look bad at all.

Top Bottom