• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I’ve only ever shot one coyote in the field and I stumbled upon it. I was gonna go to the ranch this weekend and figured I’d try my luck. I have a rabbit distress call.
    You think I’d have any luck just posting up in a blind at dusk or dawn and using the call?
    Any hunting tips would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve only ever shot one coyote in the field and I stumbled upon it. I was gonna go to the ranch this weekend and figured I’d try my luck. I have a rabbit distress call.
    You think I’d have any luck just posting up in a blind at dusk or dawn and using the call?
    Any hunting tips would be much appreciated!

Nothing wrong with that plan. Just watch your wind. You wanna be down wind of them. Is your call remote? Not sure what part of the country your in... but the yotes out this way are pretty educated. Don't get discouraged if you don't have any luck. You can't call a yote that's not there... and sometimes their just not in the vicinity.

Yotes are VERY keen. More than what most folks give them credit for. I was humbled very quickly on there keenness when I first started hunting them.

Good luck. Happy hunting. Post pics if you lure some in.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang... Fastback is my wife's dream car. I'm fond of them too.

OK, ya man... that'll work. Distress hand calls give the lungs a good workout. Hand calling is tough for me. No movement is critical using a hand call. The yote's are going to zero in where the sound is coming from. But many folks are successful with it.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Be sure to take a couple plastic grocery bags with you. I've had my best luck using the handle on those as a call.

The wind comment is right. And pitch black works best. Call them for two minutes. Run the spotlight. Shoot if it's there. Call for two minutes. Run the spotlight. If you shoot one, move to another spot and repeat. It's possible to double up doing that.

It's legal to spotlight predators on private property.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Be sure to take a couple plastic grocery bags with you. I've had my best luck using the handle on those as a call.

The wind comment is right. And pitch black works best. Call them for two minutes. Run the spotlight. Shoot if it's there. Call for two minutes. Run the spotlight. If you shoot one, move to another spot and repeat. It's possible to double up doing that.

Oh man!! that's a good idea. Never thought of that. That is a good sound to add to the bag of tricks.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016

Reminds me of when I was in elementary school we’d pick blades of grass and make hissing whistle noises with them in our hand

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    I've called and shot a lot of coyotes, many with a rifle but found more success with a shotgun loaded with buckshot. If you don't have an electric call, there are a few apps you can download to your phone that may come in handy. Coyotes are smart imho, they'll bust you on movement or smell with a quickness! To help distract them, I suggest a decoy with movement. You can currently score a Mojo Critter Predator Decoy on Amazon for $30 shipped, my only suggestion is to replace the cheap fake animal fur with squirrel or raccoon tails. If there's a breeze, a few big bird feathers tied to a tree limb with thin monofilament will move around enough to distract them. Plan to move to a few different stands if you don't get much action. Lastly, carry or use a raccoon call as well. If you don't see a coyote, a big coin will give you some action, and his hide/tail make a good addition to the decoy bag.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I've called and shot a lot of coyotes, many with a rifle but found more success with a shotgun loaded with buckshot. If you don't have an electric call, there are a few apps you can download to your phone that may come in handy. Coyotes are smart imho, they'll bust you on movement or smell with a quickness! To help distract them, I suggest a decoy with movement. You can currently score a Mojo Critter Predator Decoy on Amazon for $30 shipped, my only suggestion is to replace the cheap fake animal fur with squirrel or raccoon tails. If there's a breeze, a few big bird feathers tied to a tree limb with thin monofilament will move around enough to distract them. Plan to move to a few different stands if you don't get much action. Lastly, carry or use a raccoon call as well. If you don't see a coyote, a big coin will give you some action, and his hide/tail make a good addition to the decoy bag.

I do have a small stockpile of squirrel tails haha. I was gonna take my AR-15 with a red dot and my bolt .308
    I could put my Bluetooth speaker on the fence line and play some calls as well

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas

What size coin?

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    It takes a little time in the field to see what works best. If you become an avid yote hunter, I recommend an E-caller. Also, hunting tactics vary greatly depending on your terrain. Are you hunting open country or tight woods? 2 completely different setups and tactics.

It’s south Texas and half the place is pasture and other half is close brush. I’ve seen tracks in both areas. Neighbor has cattle so they’d most likely come from his direction. I caught one on a snare one time

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Yeah there’s a a lot of cactus. Always seems that if you shoot an animal and it runs. It always aims for the cactus when it dies lol

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Yeah there’s a a lot of cactus. Always seems that if you shoot an animal and it runs. It always aims for the cactus when it dies lol

I had a guy bring me a whitetail head and shoulders to mount from S. Texas
    That SOB was full of cactus thorns under the skin. Either dove into ,or was blasted into a prickly pear clump when he shot it .

It was a PITA to flesh out. The mount came out OK though, got a pic somewhere.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Reminds me of when I was in elementary school we’d pick blades of grass and make hissing whistle noises with them in our hand

Same concept. The bags sound like a wounded rabbit if you do it right.

Top Bottom