Join TexasGunTalk

first timer!

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by dallasmike73, Apr 17, 2008.

1. dallasmike73

dallasmike73 New Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    i just bought my first pistol which is a dx-40. I really enjoy it. im farely good with it and wold like to get my c.h.l. how long should i wait to take the class, or are there other classes i can take first?

2. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    If you haven't shot much, then go and get some practice at a range. If you haven't shot at all, find an experienced friend to go with you to the range. You need to get comfortable with the gun and be able to hit a silhouette target. Once you feel comfortable with the function of the gun and can keep your bullets on target (you don't need to be an expert) then you can sign up for a CHL class. Check with your local CHL class for the proper procedure with the state.

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

This video will give you some insight.

4. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Hi dallasmike.you got a XD40?Those are great guns.

5. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm still relatively inexperienced with handguns I think, considering I've only been into them for ~1 year. However, just some pointers from things I've learned so far. Other than of course the 4 basic firearms safety rules, the 2 most important things with handguns seem to be front sight focus, and proper trigger finger manipulation. If you train yourself to focus on the front sight, and then train yourself to ease the trigger back properly, you'll get a good jump start on most handgun beginners. Improper trigger control seems to be the number one factor in inconsistent shots. Also, learning not to focus on the target and not to look for the bullet impact on the target, but instead to focus purely on the front sight is sort of the zen moment of shooting handguns. The reason that is, is because you don't need to see where your shots are hitting, assuming you have a proper trigger pull, where your front sight is on the target when you break the shot is exactly where it will impact. There are of course many other factors involved like grip for example. Some grip methods are inherently more stable than others, though ultimately if you have a front sight focus and properly squeeze the trigger, even if your preferred grip method is a bit less stable than others, your shots are still going to hit where intended. I use the thumbs forward approach like on that Todd Jarrett video, and it's comfortable for me and VERY stable. I'd recommend buying some snap caps and practice your trigger pull in your spare time until you can eliminate any flinch.

6. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Almost any modern centerfire firearm will not experience any damage from dry-firing. Snap-caps seem to be most useful for failure to fire / clearance drills.

7. dallasmike73

dallasmike73 New Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    thank you!

thank all of you for your advice. I will take it wisely and im sure it will come in handy!

8. dallasmike73

dallasmike73 New Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    video

I liked that video. very informitive. i am going to search for more like it!
    thanks!

9. machinisttx

machinisttx Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Trigger manipulation is critical when shooting anything, but particularly a handgun. You really need to be able to move the trigger finger 100% independent of the other fingers.

10. Army 1911

Army 1911 TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    You need to learn to shoot first. Practice Practice Practice.
    CHL classes are available at most indoor ranges in the DFW area.
    Bullet Trap in Plano,
    DFW Gun Range on Mockingbird are two that come to mind.
    I shoot regularly at the Bullte Trap. They are redoing their ranges, new ventilation lighting etc. Nice People Good gun store.

Enjoy and be safe.