• ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Does anybody use one? What kind?

I've recently started exercising and I need to monitor my heart rate. The Fitbit Charge looks pretty good but seeing as I have zero experience with these I thought I should ask around.
    Target Sports

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I picked up a Fitbit Charge about a month ago. It does a lot of things well, but the two things that are important to me are lacking. Heart Rate and Daily Steps. Heart Rate measurement is very inconsistent. Sometimes it's right on, other times it does not register at all, even though I've followed the instructions and moved it up my arm and tried different degrees of tightness. Cumulative daily steps is also a problem. I check this walking on the treadmill. I counted my steps walking at a constant rate (4mph) for one minute, then multiplied by 60 to give me steps taken in an hour. The Fitbit recorded about 35% less steps. The sleep tracker works very well and gives you a good look at your sleeping pattern and exactly how much real sleep you are getting.

Maybe I've got a defective unit, or maybe it's just not suited to ME. I'm going to call Fitbit CS next week and have a chat.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    My wife is a runner, I got her the Garmin Forerunner 225 for her birthday. She loves it, and she says the heart rate monitor works really well for her.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I picked up a Fitbit Charge about a month ago. It does a lot of things well, but the two things that are important to me are lacking. Heart Rate and Daily Steps. Heart Rate measurement is very inconsistent. Sometimes it's right on, other times it does not register at all, even though I've followed the instructions and moved it up my arm and tried different degrees of tightness. Cumulative daily steps is also a problem. I check this walking on the treadmill. I counted my steps walking at a constant rate (4mph) for one minute, then multiplied by 60 to give me steps taken in an hour. The Fitbit recorded about 35% less steps. The sleep tracker works very well and gives you a good look at your sleeping pattern and exactly how much real sleep you are getting.

Maybe I've got a defective unit, or maybe it's just not suited to ME. I'm going to call Fitbit CS next week and have a chat.
    Are you a hairy fella?

Sent from.... RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Does anybody use one? What kind?

I've recently started exercising and I need to monitor my heart rate. The Fitbit Charge looks pretty good but seeing as I have zero experience with these I thought I should ask around.

Garmin Forerunner 410

Been using it heavily for the last few years.
    what I would love is one that is waterproof so I can log swim data along w runs and rides . They do make those - very expensive.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I was using a Fitbit for about a month but I prefer a watch w stop/timer.

A good app to look into is "mapmyrun". You can plot out courses on the computer, run w/o a plan and have it calculate distance, etc.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Aside from HR, what are you interested in tracking?

You are in luck. Your heart will beat regardless of the activity so a simple Polar HR monitor is all you need. Unless you're dead. Then your heart won't beat. But the upside is the Polar monitor will still track it, 0bpm

However if you're looking for a monitor that measures HR as well as offers full GPS, calendars, programs, training settings, online uploads, maps and an entire swanky shebang.....
    Garmin series equipment

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Ok. I offered an idea that gave you a very large range of use and you shot it down based on one activity I mentioned I used it for. Made it seem like you weren't interested in an option that would cover a wide range of uses.

Eta.
    Being an athlete these are my top two choices of hr/monitor gear

http://www.polar.com/us-en/products
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/index.ep

Last edited:

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Aside from HR, what are you interested in tracking?

You are in luck. Your heart will beat regardless of the activity so a simple Polar HR monitor is all you need. Unless you're dead. Then your heart won't beat. But the upside is the Polar monitor will still track it, 0bpm

However if you're looking for a monitor that measures HR as well as offers full GPS, calendars, programs, training settings, online uploads, maps and an entire swanky shebang.....
    Garmin series equipment

I guess I only NEED to track my HR. I'm just exploring options.

Another vote for Polar for HR.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Ok. I offered an idea that gave you a very large range of use and you shot it down based on one activity I mentioned I used it for. Made it seem like you weren't interested in an option that would cover a wide range of uses.

I didn't shoot anything down. A Polar may be just what I need.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Understood.
    There's some great technology in the sport tech world. I'd hate for you to short change yourself on features. Some neat things you don't think you need but after using them they are very convenient and fun to have. The info you'll receive allows you to get really precise about your activities and workouts. Really customize your equipment for your use.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Understood.
    There's some great technology in the sport tech world. I'd hate for you to short change yourself on features. Some neat things you don't think you need but after using them they are very convenient and fun to have. The info you'll receive allows you to get really precise about your activities and workouts. Really customize your equipment for your use.

That's exactly why I started this thread. The tech has come a long way and I want to take advantage of it.

I appreciate all of the input.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    The problem currently is there really isnt a "do it all" watch or tracker!

I have a Timex running watch that works great and is waterproof....but doesn't work inside! I decided on it after much research and am very happy with it but it is not an "every day fitness tracker"

Fitbits have a lot of hype right now but they aren't even water proof (I have heard of them being ruined by sweat) and know several friends who have gone through multiple units! Plus step counters are notoriously inaccurate (I have seen reports of up to an 18% variation!

If you simply want to track HR then go simple! If you want tracking ability that is accurate go with a GPS watch (just keep in mind that they usually wont work inside and aren't very useful if youre stationary (i.e. an elliptical)

Most people I know get most of what they need out of their smart phones!

coreymcl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Mansfield, TX
    I used Fitbit products since 2012 and most recently a Fitbit Flex for more than 2 years prior to moving to an Apple Watch. Based on the fact that Apple's health data is currently only available on the Watch or iPhone I still sync my tracking data back to Fitbit Dashboard. Another reason we still sync our data is our Fitbit Aria WIFI scale's data is also sent to the Fitbit Dashboard.

Top Bottom