• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yep, I never realized all the LEO training required to be a Fire Marshall, until the son of a man I work with, needed to take all the classes for a business he is starting up.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    At first I thought, "What a waste of taxpayer funds!" ... then I remembered that alot of these towns and counties don't have large police forces, and alot of land to cover, this just makes sense ... take existing people and train them.

I think it's funny that it made the "Top Stories" ... I would think Mr. Redneck would be the top story out there :P

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    A retired fireman friend of mine who was one of the EMT's told me that they were often requesting to carry guns.
    The emergency guy's often get the a scene where a crime has happened but only to be armed with "nothing".
    Kinda stupid if you ask me. These guy's never know what their going to get into.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    No EMT I know can go into a crime scene until LE has secured it and deemed it safe.
    Some of them I know tell me all kind of crap that happens when the medics are called. Pissed off wife or pissed off husband.
    They even made comments about some of the dirtbags they have calls on. Kinda makes them wish they were armed.
    Also heard a few stories about "Secured" crime scenes going south and all hell breaking lose.
    I see no reason why they shouldnt carry arms for protection. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Uh oh.
    This isn't one of the five fire marshals, is it?:

fire-marshall-bill.jpg

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    At first I thought, "What a waste of taxpayer funds!" ... then I remembered that alot of these towns and counties don't have large police forces, and alot of land to cover, this just makes sense ... take existing people and train them.
    P

When I was a firefighter someone told me about a job in which you were a park ranger, firefighter, EMT, and heli-rescue all in one. Pay started at $80/yr, which I'd guess is less than half of what it would cost to pay four people specializing in each. Whoever has this job is a real bad-ass!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The other side of that coin in that they become a jack of all trades, master of none. I would rather have a really good full time EMT saving my life, not one that does it part time amongst his other duties.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    The other side of that coin in that they become a jack of all trades, master of none. I would rather have a really good full time EMT saving my life, not one that does it part time amongst his other duties.
    That's a really good point.
    I think it's always good to cross train, so you know other essential skills that may be necessary some day.
    It's another thing to expect someone to perform all the jobs at the exact same time.

Like texascop2 hinted at: someone who knows a bit of everything is indeed useful. But someone who specializes in one specific job is probably gonna be more preferred when the chips are down.

Top Bottom