• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Self-appointed handicapped spot nazis are as bad as the "stolen valor" patrol.

If you had a family member who had a HC tag for legitimate reasons struggle across a parking lot in 100+ degree heat because some jerk illegally parked in a HC spot, you might sing a different tune.

And you obviously are clueless as to the meaning of "nazi".
    Venture Surplus ad

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Exactly the point he was making.... yes the intruder assaulted you by throwing the TV, but since he fled the scene & was leaving... you were in no danger. Sure you could shoot him... he said you can shoot anyone... it's knowing when shooting someone can send you to prison & making the right choice of shooting someone & not going to prison.

Another scenario was a woman running in a mall parking lot screaming... he's got a gun, as a guy chases her with a gun. Do you help her or mind your own business?

Actually he has very high credentials, was sheriff in a few towns, owns a security school, trained law enforcement for 20 + yrs & has Doctorate in law.
    Oh OK. Got ya. I understand now.

Yeah they throw a lot of good scenarios at ya in class. Makes ya ponder.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If you had a family member who had a HC tag for legitimate reasons struggle across a parking lot in 100+ degree heat because some jerk illegally parked in a HC spot, you might sing a different tune.

And you obviously are clueless as to the meaning of "nazi".

I think what he’s saying is similar to what I’m saying. You don’t know nor can predict how anyone will respond when confronted.

The best intentions to politely educate/remind/inform the offender could me met with incoming fire. Which begs the question, in real time, how does this impact the individual who needs your assistance for their mobility.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been the "handicapped space watchdog" before. (Having a handicapped sister, cousin, and several co-workers over the years can create that attitude.) My method, though, is to call the non-emergency Constable number. In and around my neighborhood, they show right up because it's an easy, profitable ticket. Hell, one time I called on a pickup illegally parked in a handicapped space and before the Constable could arrive, a Smart car pulled into the lined wheelchair unloading space next to the handicapped space. When the Constable arrived, he got to write two easy tickets for the trouble of just one trip.

In this case, why on earth would this guy feel the need to personally involve himself? If you're that offended by this particular infraction, just put the right telephone number in your speed dial. It can be amazing how fast LEOs can show up for something this easy with a fine this big.
    Bingo Ben. Your all over it. That is the correct way to handle this situation.

If your going to point out the fact that someone is parked illegally.... you better get ready for a rude reply. Non-handicapped who park in handicapped spots are most of the time the ungrateful class of society.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

Then I will call the number on the damn sign and have the illegally parked vehicle towed, rather than starting a confrontation with somebody while I'm carrying a gun.

I've seen plenty news bits where self-appointed parking space nazis give a person shit for "illegally" using a handicap spot while "illegally" using "someone else's" handicap placard because the person wasn't in a wheelchair and appeared to move about normally, not realizing that person had a prosthetic leg, or fused vertebrae, or only half a lung, or other maladies that make moving about a bitch while being not immediately visible to the self-appointed, self-righteous parking lot enforcer.
    If it's none of my business, I'm gonna go about my own business, especially if I don't know all the facts. See that example posted earlier in this thread, "woman runs across the parking lot screaming he's got a gun, followed by some guy". I'm not in possession of all the facts and how the situation developed beforehand. For all I know, she's trying to get him killed that way.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    See that example posted earlier in this thread, "woman runs across the parking lot screaming he's got a gun, followed by some guy". I'm not in possession of all the facts and how the situation developed beforehand. For all I know, she's trying to get him killed that way.

Yes sir, the guy chasing could be a cop with a gun & has already identified himself earlier in the confrontation & now they have made it out the store & into the parking lot.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Yes sir, the guy chasing could be a cop with a gun & has already identified himself earlier in the confrontation & now they have made it out the store & into the parking lot.

I was thinking "marital spat" and there might not even be a gun anywhere.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Then I will call the number on the damn sign and have the illegally parked vehicle towed, rather than starting a confrontation with somebody while I'm carrying a gun.

I've seen plenty news bits where self-appointed parking space nazis give a person shit for "illegally" using a handicap spot while "illegally" using "someone else's" handicap placard because the person wasn't in a wheelchair and appeared to move about normally, not realizing that person had a prosthetic leg, or fused vertebrae, or only half a lung, or other maladies that make moving about a bitch while being not immediately visible to the self-appointed, self-righteous parking lot enforcer.
    If it's none of my business, I'm gonna go about my own business, especially if I don't know all the facts. See that example posted earlier in this thread, "woman runs across the parking lot screaming he's got a gun, followed by some guy". I'm not in possession of all the facts and how the situation developed beforehand. For all I know, she's trying to get him killed that way.

A polite statement followed by moving on is not starting a confrontation. So if the other person gets testy, so what? Just keep walking.

If they have a HC tag or license plate, why would anyone say anything to them regardless of what someone observes? Straw man and not germane to this discussion.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    A polite statement followed by moving on is not starting a confrontation. So if the other person gets testy, so what? Just keep walking.

If they have a HC tag or license plate, why would anyone say anything to them regardless of what someone observes? Straw man and not germane to this discussion.

Are we not talking about a parking spot nazi who went ballistic and shot somebody for parking in a handicapped spot in this thread?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Are we not talking about a parking spot nazi who went ballistic and shot somebody for parking in a handicapped spot in this thread?

I believe he actually shot the guy after getting pushed to the ground, after he went ballistic, would be more correct....

TwinGlocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Houston

Such incidents are not unprecedented:

https://www.fox16.com/news/faker/210774479

My cousin broke his leg a couple of years ago which required surgery (bone went through the skin). He was for the most part immobilized for about 3 months but gradually we has able to move with two crutches, then one, and he eventually heals to a point where he can walk without crutches but not totally pain free (he's got a rod and screws in his leg). He had a handicap tag this whole time and sometimes I would ride with him somewhere and would have minor concerns in the back of my mind of getting called out because of someone unaware of my cousin's situation would see this seemingly fit and young looking man "misusing" a handicap parking permit.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Tell y'all what, let me body slam you to the ground and then see how quickly you can determine if whatever the hell hit you is a threat to your life or not!

There is clear reason why the sheriff didn't press charges, but as usual the vocal protests
    Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 9.31. Self-Defense:

(b) The use of force against another is not justified:

(4) if the actor provoked the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force

I'd use the "blink" and "marquee" tags if those were still a thing.
    And like I said, IDK what effed up laws Florida has, but that's the law in Texas.

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-9-31.html

And I don't care what a cop does. I'm not a cop. I don't have cop union lawyers getting me off with four weeks paid vacation for killing unarmed people sleeping in the house that's not even the right one for the no-knock raid in the middle of the night.

Nice try, but that isn't the case here. The attacker had no right to physically assault the shooter simply for yelling at his wife for being illegally parked. However, the assault does justify the shooter's right to self-defense.

I don't buy into the argument that anything a person does can be interpreted as "provoking" under §9.31, nowhere in the Penal Code is provoked defined and that broad interpretation is opinion only. Some people are triggered simply by being looked at, and no words justify conducting a violent attack on another person.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Soooooo... One guy shoves, like you suggest, but that gives the other guy, who started this interaction in first place, the right to shoot him?

"Shoves?" I get shoved in line at the airport. I get shoved when I go to a concert. I get shoved when I go for a foul ball at a baseball game.

The shooter was violently attacked and slammed to the ground. Completely different, and that is how it will be presented to the jury.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tell y'all what, let me body slam you to the ground and then see how quickly you can determine if whatever the hell hit you is a threat to your life or not!

There is clear reason why the sheriff didn't press charges, but as usual the vocal protests

Nice try, but that isn't the case here. The attacker had no right to physically assault the shooter simply for yelling at his wife for being illegally parked. However, the assault does justify the shooter's right to self-defense.

I don't buy into the argument that anything a person does can be interpreted as "provoking" under §9.31, nowhere in the Penal Code is provoked defined and that broad interpretation is opinion only. Some people are triggered simply by being looked at, and no words justify conducting a violent attack on another person.

That was not a body slam. He pushed him. A body slam would be a very different scenario.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Please enplane the legal difference between a shove to the ground and a body slam to the ground. Both are assault, no?
    Yes sir. They are the same.

So assault is a green light to shoot? Absolutely not. Correct?

A body slam implies to me that you got blitzed and the other person is on top of you or they we're strong enough to pick you up and slam you.

But what's happening at 1:15 in the video? The guy waits 2 seconds to shoot. If your feel your life is threatened... why does it take 2 seconds to pull? @ 1:15 the "pusher" is at a stand still. "Psycho guy" lines his shot up for 2 seconds and lets it fly. Murdering the "pusher".

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

This was not about someone who was in a HC spot who had a HC tag or plate.

And your continued use of the term "nazi" here just shows your ignorance of history.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yes sir. They are the same.

So assault is a green light to shoot? Absolutely not. Correct?

A body slam implies to me that you got blitzed and the other person is on top of you or they we're strong enough to pick you up and slam you.

But what's happening at 1:15 in the video? The guy waits 2 seconds to shoot. If your feel your life is threatened... why does it take 2 seconds to pull? @ 1:15 the "pusher" is at a stand still. "Psycho guy" lines his shot up for 2 seconds and lets it fly. Murdering the "pusher".

"Pusher" "Shover" "Body Slammer"

I like how different people characterized what happened, but the bottom line is how the victim of the assault was affected by and reaction to the attack. It's now how you or I or anyone else would react, it's how the guy this actually happened to did.

As for the several seconds following it, that makes no difference either. Do you know his presence of mind following the attack? No. His head could have been severely disoriented and unable to identify what happened or who attacked him for several seconds afterward. It also could have easily taken that amount of time to identify the threat and take action.

And labeling the victim as "Psycho guy" shows your bias. It is easy to sit behind a keyboard and analyze the attack, just like everyone else is doing; but until you experience such an attack firsthand you should refrain from name calling...

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "Pusher" "Shover" "Body Slammer"

I like how different people characterized what happened, but the bottom line is how the victim of the assault was affected by and reaction to the attack. It's now how you or I or anyone else would react, it's how the guy this actually happened to did. Yes.. and he reacted poorly.

As for the several seconds following it, that makes no difference either. Do you know his presence of mind following the attack? No. His head could have been severely disoriented and unable to identify what happened or who attacked him for several seconds afterward. It also could have easily taken that amount of time to identify the threat and take action. Major... @ 1:15 the Psycho WAS assertive. Clearly can be seen.

And labeling the victim as "Psycho guy" shows your bias. It is easy to sit behind a keyboard and analyze the attack, just like everyone else is doing; but until you experience such an attack firsthand you should refrain from name calling...
    I'm not bias at all. I have met and worked around people like this guy. I see it in his body language and actions. He is a instigator that thinks he has some kinda authority. He started a fight and ended it. In a disgraceful way.

Yes I understand that it's easy to analyze in front of a screen. I know 'in the moment is different'. But the shooter created his "bad moment".

I would like to sit in on this trial to hear both sides.

Top Bottom