• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    1: You don't need them... unless the red dot fails and you really need to keep shooting at someone.

2: Not really. The way a red dot works is you typically shoot with both eyes open. I run an EOTech without a riser and don't even notice the front sight. When I run my AK, I'll close the front cover on the Aimpoint sometimes just to see people go "WTF!?" when I keep hitting targets. I've done minute-of-homeboy shooting at 300 yards with the front cover down.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, see. That's an example of when you would need a BUIS. For a range toy? Not needed. But if you might pick it up for "social" use someday.... Put a back-up sight on it.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've gotten to where all of my ARs run backups. Even the range toys will ruin your day if you get there and your batteries are dead.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Working rifles need back up irons.

+1

As mentioned, co-witnessing front sight isn't intrusive with both eyes open.

If you go folding front sight, I recommend a spring loaded push-button type. I've got Troy's folding front on my go-to AR and it takes just a split second more time and a bit more fine-motor skill to pull it up. I'll be switching it to fold forward and hang off the front rail edge soon.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    +1

As mentioned, co-witnessing front sight isn't intrusive with both eyes open.

If you go folding front sight, I recommend a spring loaded push-button type. I've got Troy's folding front on my go-to AR and it takes just a split second more time and a bit more fine-motor skill to pull it up. I'll be switching it to fold forward and hang off the front rail edge soon.

I like the sound of anything spring-loaded.... I'm all for this type of front sight...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Here's one example of why iron sights are beneficial

LOL, the simplest solution to his problem? Look outside to shoot, close the front cover on the sight.

Alternatively, there really isn't much reason not to run it with the front cover up at all. We all get stuck thinking the same way every day. Sometimes, you need to step back and reevaluate from a fresh perspective. Problems seem to solve themselves when you do that.

Anybody else used one of the old Armson sights back in the day? It was a red dot collimator type sight. It had no objective lens, only an ocular. It was very compact, very simple and effective. I honestly wouldn't mind getting one for my 870. It would take the recoil IMO, I wouldn't have to worry about batteries ever and it's not like you can co-witness a bead sight anyway.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I just picked up a set of Magpuls flip up sights. They seem to work really well. Extremely light and when folded down they are not in the way. Pop up with the push of a button. Plan on ordering a few more sets for my other AR's.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I just picked up a set of Magpuls flip up sights. They seem to work really well. Extremely light and when folded down they are not in the way. Pop up with the push of a button. Plan on ordering a few more sets for my other AR's.

Sounds like a winning combo in my book.

kikjunk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    san antoniio
    Its always wise to have back up sights if your using a battery powered optic. On my ar15 I have the GI issued flip-up sights behind my EO-tech 512. Rugged and worth the coin. You can adjust the range out to 800 meters.

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Isn't GI the ARMS 40L?

He is refering to the Matech.

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/16892-ar-15-m16-usgi-backup-iron-sight-usgi-backup-sight-matech.html#

16892-ar-15-m16-usgi-backup-iron-sight-usgi-backup-sight-matech.html

Top Bottom