• AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Florida governor signs strengthened 'stand your ground' bill into law
    BY JOHN BOWDEN - 06/09/17 09:21 PM EDT

"Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) has signed into law a strengthened version of the famous "stand your ground" law that was cited in the jury instructions in the 2012 trial for the shooting death of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin that eventually acquitted neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman.

"The previous version of Florida's law, signed in 2005, required defendants to prove that they had used force in self defense. The version signed into law Friday shifts that burden to prosecutors, who now must prove that a "stand your ground" defense is not applicable, according to Reuters."

More at: http://thehill.com/homenews/news/33...-strengthened-stand-your-ground-bill-into-law

How does this compare to Texas?
    Guns International

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    The way I read it is that it doesn't even come up in the discussion whether or not you tried to retreat, IF the parameters for JUSTIFIABLE use of deadly force were met.

I understand de-escalation, and avoiding trouble...but the word retreat is completely different.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I like how the democrats say that it will embolden the gun owners to shoot first, as if us gun owners all have that "blood thirsty killer" just aching to get out.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I like how the democrats say that it will embolden the gun owners to shoot first, as if us gun owners all have that "blood thirsty killer" just aching to get out.

People unfamiliar with firearms have been taken for a ride with that type of dogma. I have yet to meet a person once unfamiliar spend some time around folks with guns and come away with an entirely different outlook. Not always complete conversion but at least a more clear understanding of the truth.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I wonder how many more safe spaces will be made in Florida, since gun owners are out shooting up the place.

Top Bottom