Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    This is absolutely ridiculous...

Florida Teen Detained by TSA for Gun Design on Her Purse

pursegun.jpg

It's not unusual for 17-year-old to find themselves in hot water with the fashion police. But on a flight from Virginia to Florida, Vanessa Gibbs found herself detained by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) over the appearance of her purse.

And just to be clear, it wasn't the content inside the purse that the TSA objected to. No, agency officials took exception with the design of a gun on Gibbs' handbag.

"It's my style, it's camouflage, it has an old western gun on it," Gibbs told News4Jax.com. Gibbs didn't run into any trouble while traveling north from Jacksonville International Airport. But on her way back home, TSA officials at Norfolk International Airport pulled her aside.

"She was like, 'This is a federal offense because it's in the shape of a gun,'" Gibbs said. "I'm like, 'But it's a design on a purse. How is it a federal offense?'

After TSA agents figured out the gun was a fake, Gibbs said, they told her to check the bag or turn it over. By the time security wrapped up the inspection, the pregnant teen missed her flight, and Southwest Airlines sent her to Orlando instead. The changed itinerary created no small amount of anxiety for Gibbs' mother, who was already waiting for her to arrive at the Jacksonville airport.

"Oh, it's terrifying. I was so upset," said Tami Gibbs, the teen's mom. "I was on the phone all the way to Orlando trying to figure out what was going on with her. It was terrifying."

Less terrifying is the actual design on the purse, which is only a few inches in size and hollow. "I carried this from Jacksonville to Norfolk, and I've carried it from Norfolk to Jacksonville," Vanessa said. "Never once has anyone said anything about it until now."

Nonetheless, the TSA says the design could be considered a "replica weapon," something that the agency has banned since 2002. Just imagine what would have happened if Gibbs had also been wearing stiletto heels.
    Gun Zone Deals

GoofyCracker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Houston
    They focus all their attention on her and some asshole prob had a underwear bomb slip right through the cracks. I have a Texas belt buckle with guns on it does that make me a perp also?????

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I feel safer. Don't you feel safer?

Good thing they didn't find any nail clippers or a bottle of water in the purse. She'd probably be sent to Guantanamo.

Pregnant, white, Christian - yup, all the tell-tale signs of a terrorist.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Whites / Christians are nasty, no doubt about it. You just can't trust them.

She made the rounds including Houston radio on Friday (12/2). Except for to many 'likes' during the interview, she carried herself well for her age. TSA and common sense don't coexist well with each other, do they?

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's what happens when you hire from the bottom of the barrel.

Barrel, Hell. They scraped the bottom of the toilet for the asswipes that pulled off this garbage. I mean, they couldn't tell it was a bas relief?? They don't know how to read and interpret their own X-ray display???

After TSA agents figured out the gun was a fake...

After??? AFTER???? Oh, yeah. DEFINITELY bottom of the toilet scrapings. Slimy pieces of
    crapanimated.gif

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Careful, some white Christians have done some nasty stuff over the years; so I wouldn't be so quick to write off any particular race/religion.

I think I've told the story about the Federal officer who was authorized to carry his duty piece aboard an airliner, but was told he couldn't bring a cigar cutter. Yep, TSA told him it was OK to have a firearm because he had a letter for it; but he didn't have a letter for the cigar cutter!

A few years back my wife and kids got me a chain with a small hand grenade pendant on it as kinda joke, but when I got through security at the airport I always remove it before hand because it it sets of the metal detector I am afraid one of the TSA agents will ask what that is and then freak out when I say it's a grenade!

But for the most part I have to say the TSA agents I've encountered (and I do travel a lot for work) have been pretty professional, at least as much as they could be in their jobs . It's the ridiculous rules and regulations that they have to enforce (and they don't get to make the rules). However, in this case it's just an example of a poor interpretation of said rules that is down right idiotic. As T2 said, the biggest problem with common sense is that it's not always common...

Cheers! M2

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Careful, some white Christians have done some nasty stuff over the years; so I wouldn't be so quick to write off any particular race/religion.
    You are correct sir however, relatively speaking to "terrorism", VERY few and VERY far between each act. Israeli's profile successfully. The USA should also.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    A little Israeli security humor...

And anyone who travels overseas a lot will know that the security efforts at US airports are not that bad...

But the solution is better intelligence, not more intense screening at the airport; a lesson the Israelis already know!

Cheers! M2

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I feel safer. Don't you feel safer?

Good thing they didn't find any nail clippers or a bottle of water in the purse. She'd probably be sent to Guantanamo.

Well, I can remember 9 years ago when my wife was preg........I better stop now....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

I think I've told the story about the Federal officer who was authorized to carry his duty piece aboard an airliner, but was told he couldn't bring a cigar cutter. Yep, TSA told him it was OK to have a firearm because he had a letter for it; but he didn't have a letter for the cigar cutter!

A few years back my wife and kids got me a chain with a small hand grenade pendant on it as kinda joke, but when I got through security at the airport I always remove it before hand because it it sets of the metal detector I am afraid one of the TSA agents will ask what that is and then freak out when I say it's a grenade!

But for the most part I have to say the TSA agents I've encountered (and I do travel a lot for work) have been pretty professional, at least as much as they could be in their jobs . It's the ridiculous rules and regulations that they have to enforce (and they don't get to make the rules). However, in this case it's just an example of a poor interpretation of said rules that is down right idiotic. As T2 said, the biggest problem with common sense is that it's not always common...

Cheers! M2

For the most part, maybe. But for no good reason, one of them decided to take a waist strap off my backpack a few years ago in up-state New York. I didn't notice until I was at the other end of the country.

And how can they pull an old woman out of a wheel chair for a pat-down? I think a lack of decency is required to work for TSA.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas

Please list the names/dates of those pregnant, white, Christians who hijacked or otherwise caused harm to an aircraft.

If we were at war with Germany, it would be pretty reasonable to "profile" German-speaking people getting on a plane. But TSA's marching orders are not to profile anyone - except those who clearly are not Muslims.

I really don't blame the TSA staff. Most of them are just folks trying to eke out a living. And, honestly, I've had very little problem with them when I fly. (Except that I ALWAYS get singled out for a search.) But you CANNOT run security with political management and with political correctness. TSA is nothing more than "security theater".

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Isreali Airport screening processes are really impressive BUT EL AL airline operates at a loss last time I read about them. Their intelligence process for all passengers is just insanely expensive. Basically it's not a model that we can use for our national air transport system unless ticket prices get really high.

Top Bottom