• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Backs them right out of the shop. Internet cafe patron shoots robbery suspects | News - Home

Samuel Williams, 71, shot the men with a .380-caliber handgun on Friday at Palms Internet Cafe on State Road 200 in Ocala.
    In video released Monday by the Marion County Sheriff's Office, two men -- one carrying a handgun and the other a baseball bat -- are seen running into the Internet cafe and destroying a computer.
    Hurley's Gold

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    That was good shootin. I like how the old man spun around in the chair and drew his weapon. He saved a lot of lifes. He had a good stance. Too bad he wasn't carrying a .45 .

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Good for him!

But I am curious how this plays out. The first shot(s) I'd say are definitely called for. But at what point does the fact that they are running away and he's chasing them put you in dangerous grounds with a jury. Something I hadn't pondered before.

Were I on the jury, I would expect to hear his defense attorney (if he winds up needing one) explaining that he shot until the threat had left the premises so that they wouldn't turn around to shoot back. However, the video does show him taking another shot through the door after they were obviously hurrying to get away (tripping over each other doing so). I'd venture his age will play well with a jury, but what if it were a 25 year old? How do you all think that would play out?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Good for him!

But I am curious how this plays out. The first shot(s) I'd say are definitely called for. But at what point does the fact that they are running away and he's chasing them put you in dangerous grounds with a jury. Something I hadn't pondered before.

Were I on the jury, I would expect to hear his defense attorney (if he winds up needing one) explaining that he shot until the threat had left the premises so that they wouldn't turn around to shoot back. However, the video does show him taking another shot through the door after they were obviously hurrying to get away (tripping over each other doing so). I'd venture his age will play well with a jury, but what if it were a 25 year old? How do you all think that would play out?
    In my mind there is a threat until the robbers have stopped moving or have retreated out of range. It's not unlike bad guys to stop after retreating, turn around and shoot randomly into the store, mad because they didn't get any loot.

On another note here's another robbery of a FL internet cafe' in 2011 where the security guard turns the tables.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Good on Williams for showing those punks who's boss! If I were on that grand jury, I'd 'no bill' him for going after them when they started to run away. Just because they are heading in the opposite direction doesn't mean they are no longer a threat!

Funny thing, I used to work at Shands Hospital many years ago when I was in college at UF. It is a state hospital located on the edge of the campus. My sister still works there...

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just saw the video (it wouldn't play on my work computer), and I say damn good shooting, Mr Williams!

From the clips shown (yeah, I said clips! ) it looks like a good engagement. It appears he waited until he had a good angle on the one peckerwood, then opened fire on him.

I don't disparage him for running them down either. He didn't chase them out into the street, just out of the Internet café. As long as they were inside, they were a threat; and I see it as Williams risking his life to protect others. I wish more Americans were willing to step up like that!

My only disappointment is that both scumbag criminals survived, and one has posted bond already. There should be no bail for anyone suspected in an armed robbery!
    But kudos to you, Mr Williams, for showing these jackasses that some people won't let themselves be the victims of criminals!

Cheers! M2

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I think it's about gambling there... loop hole in the law.

Ahhh, I should have figured it out when the computers they are using look like video slots. After watching the video again, I will say he did get damn close to the one lady behind the counter when he fires what appears to be his first shot.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    "Both face charges of attempted robbery with a firearm and felony criminal mischief. Williams, who has a license to carry a concealed weapon, does not face any charges."

Best part of the story, IMHO

In my mind there is a threat until the robbers have stopped moving or have retreated out of range. It's not unlike bad guys to stop after retreating, turn around and shoot randomly into the store, mad because they didn't get any loot.

On another note here's another robbery of a FL internet cafe' in 2011 where the security guard turns the tables.

It's scary how sudden things can go bad, I get chills thinking of how that could have turned out if not for Mr. Williams quick action.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    It's definitely scary how fast all of this happens. You damn sure better have the gun accessible, loaded, charged, and capable of drawing it quickly and shooting immediately.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I'm embarrassed to admit... I used to carry my Glock(for a few months) with nothing in the chamber. Then I saw a video on here one day, and it really opened my eyes. Now its on me all the time, with a round in the chamber.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I try explaining this to someone we know that carries a 1911 decocked on a loaded chamber without much avail.

Not a good idea in this case. The CHL holder had plenty of time and took three steps before he fired. More than enough time to cock a hammer. If a person is more comfortable carrying that way, let them. I would rather them have a gun they feel safe with, rather than a gun they are not confident in their safe carry of and leave it at home.

Top Bottom