• ...and so much more!
  • SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Like my Grandma who always carried a few "hankies" in her apron pockets, I too carry a few in my front pockets except nowadays it's paper towels and hankies. You always have a need for both as you get older. I never blow my nose in a restaurant but do blot and when necessary excuse myself to the restroom and blow my nose, it eases the anxiety.
    Capitol Armory ad

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Eh, not really any angst to it. I understood his point - who wants to eat next to someone playing Reville from their nostrils while you're trying to woof down your chicken fried steak? Surprisingly the food at Ft. Leonard Wood was nothing like people kept warning me about Army food being like. A navy guy (Seabee) who I was sharing a hospital room with was bitching about the food, the poor accomodations in his dorm room (poor baby had to share a room with another recruit) and the lack of privacy in the hospital.

Food in both chow halls, and the food delivered to us before the gas chamber was terrific. Actually had seasoning, and typical entrees were indeed things like chicken fried steak, fried chicken, grilled chicken, catfish fillets, salsbury steaks, meatloaf, pot roast. Veggies were decent, not mushy. Breakfast was also good - though I prefer my eggs fried medium or sunny side up, we had scrambled eggs daily with bacon, sasuage, or ham. For those meat averse, they could have cold cereal - and we had a salad bar with lunch and dinner. Drill sergeants encouraged recruits to eat well but not overeat. The only "bad" part of the experience was that you got treated like one of God's special children. You got a tray, put the plate on the tray, carry with both hands everywhere. Pick up your cup, carry the cup in your strong hand, cover the cup with your weak hand (even if empty) - go fill it, carry it back with your weak hand covering the cup, set it down on the tray, then sit down and prepare to eat. I got why too, because that prevented a lot of spills and waste of food, and it was one more thing that got you used to following orders.

This thread is one of the only acceptable times to tell the story about the nose blowing at the table, too.
    Glad you have no angst over it. :)
    Basic at McClellan; AIT at Rucker; agree re food, DIs, all.
    Carry on. :army:

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    My dad and uncles jingled change in their pocket. Always figured it was a 40s or 50s thing. I don't usually carry change, makes it hard to find the screws, nuts, bolts, sockets and other miscellaneous small parts that seem to accumulate instead.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    My dad and uncles jingled change in their pocket. Always figured it was a 40s or 50s thing. I don't usually carry change, makes it hard to find the screws, nuts, bolts, sockets and other miscellaneous small parts that seem to accumulate instead.

My Dad would do that with his keys on occasion.

I always thought it was a fidget thing, like tapping a pencil, drumming fingers, etc

Top Bottom