Join TexasGunTalk

For you turret twisters

Discussion in 'Optics' started by FireInTheWire, Jun 25, 2018.

1. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire si vis pacem, para bellum TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    OK.. so been shooting LR for awhile now. I can't believe I have never thought about doing this. I have never checked my scopes for true tracking. I'm going to test them asap. Have any of ya'll tested your scopes? what did ya find. I'm really curious to see how well my burris's do. I hold for wind... so checking horizontally isn't a big deal to me.

2. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    No, I have never tested a scope to this degree.

I have only "shot the square" once also.

This could explain why I have had to play with muzzle velocities in my apps to get the correct amount of clicks to hits long range targets reliably.

Interesting.

3. FireInTheWire

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    Exactly. I ran my rifle through the Lab-radar chrony. I applied my standard to my 2400abs... seems the norm has gotten to be twist my dope as indicated from the rangefinder... then dial up about 3-4 more clicks. Seems it's low every time. I've been second guessing my input. But now I think my scope is not tracking true.

4. Big Green

Big Green Active Member

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Thinks it's more prevalent on cheaper scopes? The scope going on my 6.5 is a Vortex Razor. I hope it wouldn't have that issue.

5. FireInTheWire

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    Yup I have yet to vett my scope. This allowed for doubt to creep in. Now I HAVE to check it.

6. Big Green

Big Green Active Member

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    What do you have on that Creedmoor?

7. FireInTheWire

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    Burris.. XTR2... I'm thinking it's off a little. Because i'm always having to click up 4-6. I'm always low...

8. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock MudderFlucker

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    I guess I've tested scopes. Measured in accuracy using a range finder. Range finder says 110yards. Scope adjusted for that and its right on.

17hmr and 22lr. The 22 was zeroed at 66yards. The 17, 100 yards.

9. Darqhelmet

Darqhelmet You had one job, one job.

Jul 5, 2018
    Dallas
    I have done the tracking drill and only one of my scopes is close enough that I don't know if its Me, Ammo, or the Scope that is not on. The rest of them have been off. A good resource for Scopes is Rex Reviews on YouTube. He has a play list called "sniper 101" Videos 15 and 16 get into Turrets.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn
    Or you can look at reviews of brands and where they land in his opinion. (He is an admitted scope snob)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJUaiRIEduNVLB9RTPI1cemyZ20II5ei8

10. FireInTheWire

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    I can't tell ya how much I've learned from Rex. It's a great channel. My next scope will be a S&B.

Darqhelmet likes this.