• ...and so much more!
  • Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    Hey everyone,

So I was curious if we have foundation people here, or just general construction folks. My foundation has some cracks in them, nothing gaping, but a few few somewhat bigger (not hairline little things). The inspector came out last summer after that awful drought and said that there's not been anything significant changed from his inspection when we bought the house in 2010, and that the cracks were not of any concern. But being very worried about anything related to foundation problems it still bugs me. We have some small cracks in the floor tiles (only in 2 places that I know of), and one of them is some popped grout, not really a crack. There are some hairline, to small cracks in some of the walls/ceiling, but all seem to be running along seams (best I can tell). We also hear loud popping sounds coming from the attic space several times a week. Always from the same spot. I don't know if it's related or something with the HVAC.

Anyway, just wanted to get your guys thoughts. This year's drought wasn't nearly as bad as last years, and I try to get out and water the foundation (though not nearly as much as I should) but in the backyard the lack of rain and an overly hyper boxer the yard has pretty much lost all grass and I know that's not good.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions would be really helpful. And in that same realm, for any of you North Austin guys, if you've ever used a landscaper and/or lawn company that you really liked, I wouldn't mind start getting a list together. I am going to overhaul the lawn this spring. I want to get the house up on the market, but want to make sure there aren't any surprises that would creep up in an inspection that would delay things, if not kill a deal.

Thanks,

j
    Target Sports

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Small hairline cracks on on the foundation (usually seen in the garage or driveway) are quite normal anywhere in central Texas.

The surest clue to foundation failure are doors and windows that will not open or close properly, large cracks in drywall, long diagonal or stair-step cracks along exterior brick work, and unexplained buckling of the flooring on the bottom floor of the dwelling.

Sometimes, a foundation failure will break the water lines, which will cause even greater damage. Check your water bill closely: any large variation will alert you to a major problem.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    When we had a concrete company in central Texas, we'd joke with folks about concrete regarding there are three things you can guarantee about concrete; it will turn gray, it will get hard, and it will crack. Cracks are for the most part just what would be called a "check" and will be very shallow and not structually significant. But some can be deeper and lead to a foundation moving slightly. Some people say more reinforcing will help keep slabs from cracking but the reality is it probably won't. The reinforcing will help it to not move up and down around a crack and will try to hold it together but it may or may not. As said, check the alignment of windows and especially doors. Check for cracks or "lines" in the sheetrock walls above doors and windows. Actualy cracked slabs can be fixed but it's expensive. If it gets bad, get a structural engineer to look at it. You may not like what he tells you but it better than relying on sales pitches to fix it or somebody that just worked in the concrete business as a laborer, etc. Just my two bits and worth only what it costs. Shortround is correct in what he's telling you.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    Thanks a bunch, guys! This does help put my fears at ease a bit. We've never had any trouble shutting/opening any windows or doors. Sometimes the deadbolts will not line up, but that's actually a forward/backward thing, I don't have to lift the door or anything. And that tends to be most noticeable during extreme temps (either cold or hot).

As I mentioned, the cracking in the drywall is very small (hairline type stuff) and are pretty much exclusively 90 degree based. There's only one crack outside on the foundation that had me concerned, but it doesn't sound like it's anything to worry about. Had some soaker hoses last year that worked well but they disintegrated at the bibs at one point O_o - so I'll get those replaced here soon. And I am planning on re-sodding the backyard this year if I can find the time and/or money which should help keep the ground moist.

Thanks again, fellas.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Good info guys! Flewda the only "fix" would be to have piers installed but at a unreasonably high cost. Keep an eye on the cracks like the previous replies said, Austin is a very hard clay soil (if memory serves) so there will be shifting every year.

Just an FYI, most of the large commercial buildings I have built call for 8' to 30' drilled piers on every 15' or so under the slab to prevent settling and shifting.

Top Bottom