ARJ Defense ad

Frangible Ammo for Self Defense, yeah or neah?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio
    I'm not a fan, personally, because I shoot 9mm and don't want to give up stopping power. I'd prefer to just remember one of the first rules I learned: Know your target and beyond.

I am far from an expert on these things, though, so my opinion is probably worth about what you paid for it.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Cannot remember where I was reading this...maybe it was the FBI report posted on another post here. But it hinted that with the number of misses that people (in this particular case, it was referring to police) make in high-stress situation of shooting in a gunfight, it was really kind of pointless to worry about overpenetration.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I’ve read that frangible ammo is being used more and more by law Enforcement and the Military for close combat situations in rural areas where the risk of collateral damage is high.
    What are your thoughts on using frangible ammo for personal self defense and why?
    Why would they use it in a rural area?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Frangible bullets are like bird shot, they'll give you a nasty, but very shallow wound. When you consider bones and the possibility of shooting through barriers (auto glass, car door, sheetrock, etc.) the frangible ceases to be a viable option, in my opinion. Most LE agencies are ran by politicians and lawyers, so don't think of their choice solely lies on the basis of experience and testing. Case and point, APD.

Honestly the likelyhood of a single pistol round killing someone are fairly low, in either case you are going to cause significant harm and will be sued. It's unfortunate but it's the risk you take. You can mitigate the risk by training yourself, which I know you do. It is erronious, in my opinion, to want to cover all bases by reducing the capability of your equipment.

Cody you need to go shoot IDPA with us, it'll expose weak points and really give you some good pistol work. PM me if you want to know more.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Really? When you say “astounding”, are you referring to soft tissue damage or disintegration upon hitting a solid object? Or both?

The ability of frangible ammo to punch thru light bone like human ribs, denim and even heavy coats is well tested. The rounds can't punch thru heavy bone but there is no heavy bone in the human torso. Frang tends to enter a torso, human, deer or hog and
    Punches thru the chest wall. At about 2-3" it radically expands. My tests with 45 acp and 44 mag show permanent wound cavities 3-4"'in diameter penetrating 8-10" from point of impact. The temporary cavities were much larger but they collapse after the hydrostatic shockwave dissipates.

Deer and hogs in the 150-200# class tend to poof or swell at impact and collapse and fall where struck. Bullets pass straight thru scapula and ribs and only expand inside the ribcage.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    While I am the first to say a single hit from an weapon system should not be considered a 1 shot stop and it takes multiple hits from pistol cals to stop a threat I have been very impressed with the MagSafe frang I have tested.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Well, from what I’ve studied and what I’ve read here, I’m thinking 3 rounds of Frangible Ammo in the first mag and the rest of the mag loaded with a good hollow point, both in that mag and all of my spare mags. The first three reactionary rounds to a deadly force encounter at close range with the frangible and the rest of the shots being with a more appropriate ammo for a less reactionary response.
    What say the peanut gallery?

What are you so concerned about? The chances of being killed by an attacker you've failed to stop by shooting him with frangible garbage ammo are much higher than accidentally shooting your neighbor.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Stephen P. Wenger advocates shooting at low angles rather than with the arms straight out. This allows the bullet to ricochet off the ground and at least lose a little energy rather than sailing right out into the world. Something to consider.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Frangible bullets are like bird shot, they'll give you a nasty, but very shallow wound. When you consider bones and the possibility of shooting through barriers (auto glass, car door, sheetrock, etc.) the frangible ceases to be a viable option, in my opinion. Most LE agencies are ran by politicians and lawyers, so don't think of their choice solely lies on the basis of experience and testing. Case and point, APD.

Honestly the likelyhood of a single pistol round killing someone are fairly low, in either case you are going to cause significant harm and will be sued. It's unfortunate but it's the risk you take. You can mitigate the risk by training yourself, which I know you do. It is erronious, in my opinion, to want to cover all bases by reducing the capability of your equipment.

Cody you need to go shoot IDPA with us, it'll expose weak points and really give you some good pistol work. PM me if you want to know more.

I thought 1911 addicts made the .45 and done claim?

just giving you grief Texas... In any regard I completely agree with what you're saying about the choices that are made and why they're made, I also think that there needs to be consideration to the fact that if you make it, people will buy it... Case and point? Bullets with hearts imprinted on the projectile... Who knows why but I saw it at a gun show a month or so ago... I didn't think anything of it until now... It was like really? If I carried something like that in my ccw the only purpose that it would serve would be to entertain the coroner should I ever have to use my weapon...

currently I carry a .380 so I'm not overly worried about over-penetrating... In fact in most cases lately I've been thinking a lot about achieving ample penetration...

Top Bottom