Texas SOT

Frangible Ammo for Self Defense, yeah or neah?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Well, from what I’ve studied and what I’ve read here, I’m thinking 3 rounds of Frangible Ammo in the first mag and the rest of the mag loaded with a good hollow point, both in that mag and all of my spare mags. The first three reactionary rounds to a deadly force encounter at close range with the frangible and the rest of the shots being with a more appropriate ammo for a less reactionary response.
    What say the peanut gallery?

I don't know if I'd give three rounds if I was going to do that technique... Quite possibly one if I was... but something to consider is that you are using your weapon not as a deterrent, but for the sole fact that your life is in jeopardy and you're stopping such... Would the frangible ammo be able to do such to your approval?
    Venture Surplus ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The heart is pretty resiliant as are lung shots. You're going to wait for someone to drop from either shot.

Plus, blowing a permanent large hole in the organ via a JHP is far better than relying on shock to tear apart tissue.

Try to rip apart a steak, it's extremely strong in tensile force, the heart is a muscle. Nevermind the fact that you'd have to penetrate bone mass and skin, which dissipate the force prior to it reaching the heart.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm a big fan of penetration. :) Frangibles don't deliver that. And you'd be supprised by the resiliance of the human body. The heart is hard to hit and lungs are a low pressure systems that often stop bleeding quickly. Heck, unless you have so much blood loss, all you need is a chest tube. . . no surgery.

Handguns are no magic. They are weak. Keep shooting, get training.

Kingsnake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Houston
    Texas42 nailed it.

Real world shootings using frangible ammo are rare with mostly disappointing results based on shallow penetration.

You want maximum penetration with controlled expansion in your self defense ammo to terminate a threat. Expect to fire multiple times (the adrenaline dump will see to that), and even then sometimes they go down and sometimes they do not. By this time you should be behind cover anyway.

All American ammunition companies currently offer entirely adequate hi tech ammo in your caliber of choice, try whatever is available and make sure it functions 100% in your weapon.

There are no magic bullets, and save the frangibles for the uninitiated.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Houston Texas
    I think the major benefits they where showing on modern marvels last night on frangibles was rifle rounds not pistol, where the round has good velocity on a target in front of you but not on the other side of a wall like clearing a house.

I'd say no to frangibles in my pistol, hollow points have to go through alot of tests including penetration, which can't go to far or to shallow ensuring optimal penetration no matter where and what angle in the torso you hit.

They had an awesome round on Modernmarvals last night that would clear metal then act just like a frangible on tissue impact! That that was very interesting.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    All I am saying is I have tested them and I suggest you test them yourselves before deciding not to carry them.
    I think if you buy a package of 6 MagSafe and shoot them next to your favorite hollow point bullet the results will surprise you.
    You can get pig hearts, ribs, and other internals at some grocery stores. Add a couple layers of denim or am old jacket and test them as I have.
    Shoot a deer or two and tell me they have no stopping power or only cause minor flesh wounds.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Whaaaaat?

The theory is that if you are using good HPs (as you should) and miss the bad guy, the bullets will hit the pavement and at least deform and lose a little energy and a lot of aerodynamics. If you are shooting into soft Earth they probably won't ricochet at all. Mr. Wenger advocates aiming for the hips as this forces the arms to remain at a low angle. To each his own.

codeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    TX
    Post Deleted

Attachments

• Scaredy_Cat[1].jpg
      Scaredy_Cat[1].jpg
      70.7 KB · Views: 73
    Top Bottom