• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Rug357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2022
    Texas
    I noticed forum members freaking out about requiring a Texas Bill of Sale when listing a gun for sale. I understand it's nice to not have any paperwork on a private sale, but if the gun is registered in your name how do you protect yourself in the event something happens? Just curious.
    Military Camp

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Search Bill of sale. This thread will get locked or merged into one of those as it's an often discussed topic but I'll ad the following......

First, sorry your ad got muddled up by the BOS stuff.

Second, guns aren't registered to you in Texas. They are nothing more than property like any other inanimate object not licensed or registered by the gooberment.
    You were asked where you came from cause some states actually require some sort of registration or actual records of guns you own. Texas does not. The United States does not register guns to a person. It's actually illegal federally to do so.

Third, people don't want their personal information stored by someone else. Names addresses DL and Licenses to carry in have all been used to steal identity and commit fraud during other firearms purchases on sites like Texas gun trader often if not daily.

Fourth if someone does something with a gun you sold what exactly do you think will happen to you? Absolutely nothing. If a trace is done the ATF will call the manufacturer who tells them what distributors they sold it to which tells them what dealer which tells them the purchaseer. When contacted you would say I sold that gun on or about this date which is where it ends.

Beyond that I, again, suggest you search bill of sale on the site and read that info. It will tell you the possible negative stuff that can happen with a bill of sale. Like proving you sold to a prohibited possessor, if you did so or them getting your personal info etc. Also the ATF has used bills of sale as evidence of people dealing firearms without a license.

On the other end they can be used to prove you bought a stolen gun if that was the case. While TX is a free state there are jurisdictions that are not and prosecutors who hate guns and gun owners. The pros and cons of a bill of sale for an item not registered to you are all laid out in those discussions.

It's your gun and sale and you set the terms. Bills of sale, ffl transfers, recording ones personal info are all terms that will severely limit your pool of buyers.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Kind of reminds me of the David Allan Coe song, “You Never Even Call Me By My Name.” You know, the run-up to the last verse where he talks about Steve Goodman writing the perfect country and western song.

Post 2 was almost the perfect post, except it didn’t talk about how a BOS can he used against you to establish dealing in firearms without a license, which has landed more than a few folks in prison.

Now, it’s /thread.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Kind of reminds me of the David Allan Coe song, “You Never Even Call Me By My Name.” You know, the run-up to the last verse where he talks about Steve Goodman writing the perfect country and western song.

Post 2 was almost the perfect post, except it didn’t talk about how a BOS can he used against you to establish dealing in firearms without a license, which has landed more than a few folks in prison.

Now, it’s /thread.

Re. Post 2, actually he did so indicate. Otherwise your post was perfect.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I wish I had known about a bos when I sold a handgun in a parking lot to a guy I didn't know. He had a valid CHL, years ago before LTC, anyway I still have the piece of paper that his info is on. Not throwing it away, you never know.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I noticed forum members freaking out about requiring a Texas Bill of Sale when listing a gun for sale. I understand it's nice to not have any paperwork on a private sale, but if the gun is registered in your name how do you protect yourself in the event something happens? Just curious.
    Bill of Sale bullshit is from foreigners moving to Texas and watching too much TeeVee. You're not going to prison for selling a gun that was used in a crime any more than you would for selling a car that was using in a DWI.

Now, it’s /thread.
    This! In fact, dealing in firearms without a license - or 'straw purchases' - will get you in legal trouble a lot quicker than selling a gun. I used to work for a guy that had some financial issues and sold some guns that were later found in possession of a cartel in Mexico, he was convicted of lying to the FBI - not unlicensed dealing. The correct answer is always, "I believe I sold that gun, but do not recall any details about the buyer."

Eli

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    OP, There's a neat function TGT has in the upper right corner:

1670592970244.png

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My biggest concern with a BOS is not that one for one purchase. My concern is the push and habit of a BOS.

It pushes an agenda. If we accept them as common place it becomes easier to pass a law requiring them. That starts down the slippery slope of FOIDs and then registration.

Not one fucking inch. Not one.

You sleep better knowing you are helping the grabbers? Great. Have at it.

As a side note, if you sell here (or any other site) there will be messages back and forth (or calls). Are we really pretending there is no way to track a sale?

The nails on the chalkboard for me is posting publicly saying "sold to xxx" or even "great meeting up with you". Keep a private sale just that, private.

Rug357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2022
    Texas
    Just wanted to post a reply to my BoS thread here since the original was locked. Thanks for the detailed reply. Now I feel bad about filling out one of those things on my last purchase. The guns I listed were purchased in Texas so I guess I have nothing to be concerned about.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom