Target Sports

Freedom Over Texas (downtown 4th of July fireworks display)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Be careful where you park down there. A few years ago I parked in a garage downtown and Houston Police decided to shut down the street outside the garage, so no one could get out. The scene inside this underground garage rapidly deteriorated and we eventually abandoned our vehicle and took a cab all the way home to Katy(when I lived there). Needless to say, never again.​

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Be careful where you park down there. A few years ago I parked in a garage downtown and Houston Police decided to shut down the street outside the garage, so no one could get out. The scene inside this underground garage rapidly deteriorated and we eventually abandoned our vehicle and took a cab all the way home to Katy(when I lived there). Needless to say, never again.​

Damn, that sounds like it sucks. Was your car in the same condition you left it in, when you went back to get it? I'll definitely keep that in mind when I'm picking my parking spot. I've been once before, I parked a few streets over from the entrance, and it took about an hour or so for the traffic to start flowing once we were ready to leave, so we sat there for over an hour just waiting.

Also, I wasn't 100% sure if CCW was prohibited on the event grounds, I looked on the "rules" page, and all it says is "weapons are not allowed" (vague statement that has no legal bearing).

And being the CHL holder that carries concealed EVERYWHERE he goes, I had been searching for the answer to that question, and still came up with a not-so-certain answer, so I finally decided to call HPD and ask. Wow....as you said, "never again". What an asshole, by his response you'd have sworn I was asking him if I can have a sleepover with his teenage daughter or something. I was waiting for him to call me an idiot, seriously. I'm not sure if he misunderstood the question, or if he is unaware that thousands of Houstonians carry concealed handguns with them everywhere they go, I'm surprised I was the only one wondering about that. But in case anyone is wondering, no, CCW is not legal on the event grounds this evening. But I fully intended to carry if it were not prohibited, as I do everywhere else I go.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    I am going to try to find something on the west side..

Yeah, I really am not too excited about going downtown, but it's what the wife wants to do, so that's what we're doing lol...I live on the West Side too, if you find anything worthwhile going on, let me know. I'm not much of a "party animal" in fact I rarely even go out, and don't drink at all. But I guess since it's 4th of July, the birthday of our nation, I can make an exception and get out for once (for something other than going to the range...which I did first thing this morning lol....)

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    The traffic is really bad leaving after the fireworks are over, last year it took me an hour and twenty to get out of Taylor street and Washington Ave.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    The traffic is really bad leaving after the fireworks are over, last year it took me an hour and twenty to get out of Taylor street and Washington Ave.

Yeah I'm trying to convince my wife and our friends to find a good spot outside the actual location, like in one of the parks off Memorial, and watch it from there. But, today is definitely my "follow" day lol...

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Damn, that sounds like it sucks. Was your car in the same condition you left it in, when you went back to get it? I'll definitely keep that in mind when I'm picking my parking spot. I've been once before, I parked a few streets over from the entrance, and it took about an hour or so for the traffic to start flowing once we were ready to leave, so we sat there for over an hour just waiting.

Also, I wasn't 100% sure if CCW was prohibited on the event grounds, I looked on the "rules" page, and all it says is "weapons are not allowed" (vague statement that has no legal bearing).

And being the CHL holder that carries concealed EVERYWHERE he goes, I had been searching for the answer to that question, and still came up with a not-so-certain answer, so I finally decided to call HPD and ask. Wow....as you said, "never again". What an asshole, by his response you'd have sworn I was asking him if I can have a sleepover with his teenage daughter or something. I was waiting for him to call me an idiot, seriously. I'm not sure if he misunderstood the question, or if he is unaware that thousands of Houstonians carry concealed handguns with them everywhere they go, I'm surprised I was the only one wondering about that. But in case anyone is wondering, no, CCW is not legal on the event grounds this evening. But I fully intended to carry if it were not prohibited, as I do everywhere else I go.

Keep in mind alot of HPD officers will tell you its illegal to carry a gun in you own home. Its an outside event, its not a sporting event so i dont see anything that would prevent you from carrying.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Keep in mind alot of HPD officers will tell you its illegal to carry a gun in you own home. Its an outside event, its not a sporting event so i dont see anything that would prevent you from carrying.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I decided not 2 go inside the actual event, and instead 2 pick a spot on a pedestrian bridge a few blocks back. Got my red white and blue star spangled banner posted up right in the middle of the bridge too...

DT4.jpg

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I had a good place to watch it also. In my easychair with ac. Too bad channel 13 has such crappy cameras.. Was a nice show and I am proud to be an American.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I stayed home so Jake & I watched it on the big screen TV. I turned all the lights off and that was great!

I just read that in San Diego, a malfunction occurred in their music/fireworks program and the whole damned thing went off at once! I saw a mini flick of it.....it was spectacular! The whole 20-30 minute program shot off in 30 seconds. It didn't last long but it was fun while it lasted! You gotta check it out.

I rode the Harley around the back roads for a couple of hours then got Jake and we made a 6 mile ride on the big tricycle. We took a little nap then watched the show. Retirement is kinda growing on me. I could learn to love this!

Flash

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Go Big then Go Home Flash..lol

Haha, that's so funny Chuck. The second I read that story I thought of you. I heard there were all these people disappointed and said to myself, "Chuck would have given that a standing ovation". In fact, somehow I just assumed you were running things there in San Diego. Lol.

Top Bottom