• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Here's a Deep Dark, Secret.........HOW does a guy who likes to shoot, get involved in "Friends of the NRA?" I've lived here for almost 20 years and gave up trying to get involved in this worthwhile activity. TexasRedNeck was kind enough to get me some contact information so I could get hooked up........and I did. It was odd that TXR who lives so far away from me, got me the contact info for people 10 miles away from me. Now, we'll share the contacts and get some more folks involved right here!

I attended the meeting at Tortuga's Mexican Restaurant in Baytown (in the San Jacinto Mall complex) and we discussed a whole range of ways that new folks could get involved in supporting the NRA efforts. I'm retired and have no money to give them but I do have some time. I met some nice folks who are dedicated to helping the NRA. The next meeting is 3/27 at 6pm (same place). Call for further information.

As examples of how we can help, I signed up to man the booth at the Liberty Jubilee in the town square of Liberty Texas. I'll give out NRA information and sell raffle tickets for a nice selection of fine firearms. I'll be there 4 hours but plan to hang around to see the sights, later.

On the next weekend, I signed up to man the NRA booth at the Dayton "Ole Time Days" for 4 hours.

The activities are fun, I'll get to meet new people and help the NRA as well. It's a great way to get involved!

Listed below are contact numbers for the Friends of the NRA organizers. Each individual gave his permission (to me personally) to list their numbers. They WANT your help. They want you to get involved and they asked me to distribute the contact info to make that happen. Please call them. I called Carl initially but I met all of them. They are real nice folks!

Friends of The NRA Contact Information (listed by permission)

Carl Chaffin 936-258-3909
    David Rabke 281-620-4234
    Bob Cowan 281-421-1217
    Scott Clift 281-426-4206
    Dr. John Hurr 936-336-5011

Flash
    Texas SOT

NRAFieldRep

NRA Field Rep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    South Texas
    Welcome Flash! The Baytown Committee is awesome and you will have a great time!!! They are also a High Caliber event and have made huge contributions to Friends of NRA and our programs and grants. Look forward to meeting you.

George - as always...thanks!

FYI - there are 24 current committees in South Texas and we are working on adding Ft. Bend, Uvale, West Houston and more. If you are interested in helping out let me know.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    TXR can testify that I was pretty ticked off at not being able to participate in years past. As it turned out, the problem was that they didn't know how to reach me and I didn't know how to contact them. I honestly thought they were just snooty people. I know now, that isn't the case. They're nice folks and I'm glad to be one of them.

Hopefully, the TGT forum will help us to correct that communication problem!

Flash

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I got in contact with then right at the opening of hunting season last fall but by the time they got back to having thier meetings my medical condition got to the point it is now and i couldnt attend.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That's why I was so tickled when Alan made this forum section available to FNRA - it gives us a way to "get the word out", and to answer some of the questions folks have about getting involved!

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The next meeting of the Baytown "Friends of the NRA" will be held at Tortuga's Mexican Restaurant at the north end of the San Jacinto Mall parking lot. They meet at 6pm on Tuesday 3/27/2012 but some come at 5 to eat dinner first. If you get there at 6pm, you can still order dinner & eat during the meeting. I don't eat at restaurants anymore so I just come for the meeting.

We'd like to see more interested NRA members attend! They are really nice folks and you will like being part of the team!

Today, I'm going to the Liberty Jubilee to work the NRA booth from 9am-1pm. After 1pm, I'll cut loose and tour around the town square to see what's happening at the Jubilee. Come on out!

If you search the Liberty Jubilee, be sure to specify 2012. There are several old 2010 and 2011 postings on the 'Net with obsolete info.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The "Friends of NRA" meeting was held 3-27-2012 at Tortugas in Baytown from 6pm to 7pm. Here's a nickle version.

The Raffle ticket sales at the Liberty Jubilee were exceptional for the NRA effort and may have been an all time record! I was there and it was fun working the booth. The surprise item in the raffle was a Charter arms 38 lightweight revolver in PINK! The pink case for the pistol was also an attraction. That pistol attracted more attention than any other raffle item and MANY women strong armed their men to buy raffle tickets because of it!

Also included in the raffle are:
    AR-15 flattop in .223
    Kimber SS 1911 in .45 acp
    Mossberg camo 12 gauge with two barrels (turkey and rifled slug)
    Ruger Hawkeye rifle in 7mm/08
    Taurus 45/410 revolver. It is silver finish and is probably SS but I don't recall.
    Marlin lever action 44 mag engraved for NRA

Raffle tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20. One ticket gives you 7 chances to win. SOMEONE will win! Winners will pick up the firearms at an FFL dealer for paperwork processing or they can be shipped to your FFL.

On April 14, we have plans to set up the NRA booth at the Baytown Custom Car Show.

The next meeting of the FNRA group will be on April 10 at 6pm- Tortuga's in Baytown.

The big Spring "Friends Of The NRA" dinner will be held on May 12, 2012 at the Royal Purple Raceway in Baytown (The big drag strip). Please call the contact numbers in this OP to get tickets or other info.

Our next effort will be at the Dayton "Ole Time Days" on Saturday 3-31-12. We will set up a booth to sell raffle tickets on the 7 splendid firearms offered.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hey Dawg, You bet! You are more than welcome to attend and to participate! The next meeting is a planning session for the officers but the next full meeting is April 10.....I think. I'll check and post it for sure. OOPS....I RE-READ POST #12 THERE IT WAS!

The next events are the Dayton Ol Time days this weekend, the Baytown Car Show and the Strawberry Festival in Pasadena then the Big Dinner on 5-12. I'll post more on that later.

Something I might add. There are LOTS of guns to be had at the dinner. I don't know exactly how it works yet but a lot of folks are going to own new guns after that dinner! I'll post more when I figure it out.

No kidding, I had a hard time finding the group and it was ironic because they needed and wanted the help! I'm gonna make it my business to get the word out and include as many Baytown area folks as I can. Call any of the contact numbers in the OP. They'll be delighted to have you participate!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The booth at Dayton's "Ol Time Days" was very successful! Raffle ticket business was steady and non stop. One lady came by and told us that she won a Taurus Judge (45 LC/410) at the FNRA drawing last year. She looked pretty happy and raffle ticket sales perked up for a while after she bragged on us!

I spent 4 1/2 hours manning the booth and was very pleasantly surprised at how many people came up, said they were 100% for supporting the NRA and bought their tickets.

I was very moved by a man who came by wearing a biker vest with long hair. He had a "Combat Infantry Badge" and an Airborne pin on the vest. They don't give those away and the only way to earn the CIB is to be deep in the shxt. I thanked him for his service and it meant a lot to me to be able to do that. Another man came by with a 1st Cav tattoo on his fore arm. I thanked him for his service as well. Those opportunities meant a lot to me personally and those brief chances to say "Thanks!" made it worth every minute of time I donated to help run the booth.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I heard a little more about the dinner event on May 12, 2012. There are lots of guns on the tables and on display and they kept talking about "Bucket Tickets" to raffle those guns off. At the FNRA dinner, LOTS of guns will find a new home! I may be wrong but 70 guns rings a bell. I'll find out more about it later and post the info.

Tickets for the dinner are available. The dinner will be at the Royal Purple Raceway (Drag Strip) on May 12. Tickets are available by calling the contact numbers in the OP. It sounds like a great time, you may will have a chance to own a buttload of quality firearms and funds generated will support the educational and safety efforts of the NRA.

(All firearms are legally transferred through a licensed FFL.)

A word about tax breaks. If you give money to the actual NRA organization, the funds may not be deductible on your taxes. Because the FNRA is a tax exempt, charitable organization, donations to FNRA are generally deductible on your taxes. Please check with your tax expert for specifics.

Thanks for your support!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The next meeting of Baytown's FNRA will be held at Tortuga's (in the San Jacinto mall parking lot) on 4-10-2012 at 6 O'clock. You are welcome to attend and may eat dinner there or not, as you wish. Some of the members come early to eat and others eat during the meeting. I eat at home before the meeting. It's informal and very friendly!

Hope to see you there!

Flash

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    How does that show all of them? The areas that have held this years event, Diboll for example, have been removed from the list leaving only future events (areas) shown.

Top Bottom