• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    There was a coyote in the church parking lot across the street last year. It was eyeing me and my 48lb Pittie. I had 13 rounds of 9mm JHP and a clear backstop so I wasn't too worried.
    I hear there are A LOT of coyotes on the border.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Coyotes attacking people? Weird. I lived in Mississippi for over 7 years out in the sticks and was surrounded by coyotes. My dogs ran all around and never had any trouble that I know of... at least they never showed any signs of having been in a fight. I also hunted a lot and saw them but never felt the slightest bit fearful. If they sensed humans, they would booger out of sight very quickly. They were mostly solitary too - when I saw them but of course at night when they would yodel, it was obvious there were groups of them.

I think what's going on up in Frisco is that their natural prey is in short supply or their numbers have outstripped the natural food sources, so they're doing what they need to get food. Still weird that they are attacking people.... I'm guessing it's because of the lack of hunting due to the suburban nature of the area now. In areas that are hunted, the coyotes have a healthy fear of humans.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Coyotes attacking people? Weird. I lived in Mississippi for over 7 years out in the sticks and was surrounded by coyotes. My dogs ran all around and never had any trouble that I know of... at least they never showed any signs of having been in a fight. I also hunted a lot and saw them but never felt the slightest bit fearful. If they sensed humans, they would booger out of sight very quickly. They were mostly solitary too - when I saw them but of course at night when they would yodel, it was obvious there were groups of them.

I think what's going on up in Frisco is that their natural prey is in short supply or their numbers have outstripped the natural food sources, so they're doing what they need to get food. Still weird that they are attacking people.... I'm guessing it's because of the lack of hunting due to the suburban nature of the area now. In areas that are hunted, the coyotes have a healthy fear of humans.

Either rabid or starving is my guess too. With all the building in that area, it's easy to surround some land with civilization and trap them. Then start developing that land and they're out of options.

We've got lots of them out here in the country. When we get in a bad drought and food gets scarce, they might get brave and try and sneak into barns or back porches looking for dog food, but for the most part, they run when they see people or even domesticated dogs. But I have lost several cats over the years, likely to coyotes.

But I'm the generous type. I'll take all of the problem coyotes in Frisco if they'll take all the skunks in my area. :)

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    OSOK, there was some mention on the news about the possibility of rabies being considered. However, as far as I know, the guy who was attacked the worse hasn’t started rabies shots (or at least, that I saw reported). It is an area that’s suburbs now; but I suspect it’s not a lack of prey but an over abundance prey that’s attracting them (household pets; cats & small dogs).

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Growing up, the rule of thumb I was always told is, coyotes tend to not attack anything bigger than themselves. (However, no use in putting that old saying to the test).

One Sunday morning early, I was walking the fifty yards or so out to the mail box and out of the corner of my eye, some motion caught my attention. A rather large male coyote was paralleling my path about 20 yards away. And his female was walking behind him about another six or eight yards back. I ignored them and continued on to the mailbox. They also continued their path and crossed the fence line.

A few years later, coming out of the barn, I did have a coyote not give ground. He was about thirty yards away and was squared up to me and seriously staring at me. I stepped back inside and got an axe and something to throw at him - which finally made him decide not to attack and he ran off. I wasn’t a pistol guy back in those days; I became one after that encounter!

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    That map seems to show they are in a heavily populated area, but so am I. And I've seen them in my front yard. The ones in the city are no longer afraid of humans. At least not like country coyotes are.

Lived in the boonies when I was a kid. Twice I had a pack of coyotes attack my rabbit pen and take them. Chewed through the farrowing box, 1x12 wood, which chased them out in the wire section, which was somehow pulled apart. Worst part was it was near my window. My dad popped a couple rounds from his shotgun to run them off. They only got one of my breeder moms. What an awful racket.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

This^^

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    My niece’s house yesterday (also in Frisco) - yep, that’s two bobcats. I’m guessing siblings, just about ready to leave ‘the nest’....as it were.
    a6fedc876df50c3e0d34f515dd08b8c8.jpg

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I've seen plenty of bobcats northeast of McKinney and also around Greenville but they've always been running across the road. Plenty of open land on the north side of Frisco for every creature.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Metro North has all grown so fast it shouldn’t be surprising to see these wild animals in the city. In most cases such a as Frisco it wasn’t that long ago there were nothing but farms, ranches, & trailer house whore houses in the metro north but then it was just out in the country. These animals are being displaced in many cases. Animal control should be working to relocate when possible.

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Not only northeast of McKinney but actually “in” McKinney. We’ve got at least one resident bobcat in our neighborhood, just on the west side of Central Expressway (fairly close to our new “pride & joy” $85M high school football stadium :::sarcasm off:::).

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Bobcats and coyotes are all over in Carrollton. Multiple reports for bobcats in people’s yard. Had 2 in ours a couple of years ago. The coyotes can be heard every time a siren goes on.

They are part of the landscape. Keep an eye on your small pets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Yeah. “Lost kitten/dog” signs on light poles in our neighborhood are not uncommon. Especially among ‘out-of-staters’ having just moved into the area.

Old_Inspector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I live in north Harris County, near The Woodlands. Coyotes live in all the heavily wooded areas here as do bobcats. We even had a cat that was half bobcat. We hear the coyotes howl during the evenings, especially the summer. I tell people who let their cats and dogs run loose that all they are doing is feeding the coyotes.

Top Bottom