• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I knew a guy (de died) who was so snake phobic he couldn't even look at a photo of a snake.

Those of you with the snake 'kill em all, let gawd sort em out' mentality have a bit of this phobia going on.......

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I knew a guy (de died) who was so snake phobic he couldn't even look at a photo of a snake.

Those of you with the snake 'kill em all, let gawd sort em out' mentality have a bit of this phobia going on.......
    Whatever. That's like saying you carry a firearm (concealed or open) because you're scared.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Oh lord, not more phobia talk. I thought the lefties owned that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I don't go out looking for snakes. If they're in their own environment then I have no problem with leaving them alone. That sentiment extends to a lot of similar things. However, when they end up in MY environment, one of us has to go.

Copperheads are particularly nasty because they are extremely hard to see. Their coloration blends in perfectly with dead oak leaves. I stepped on one years ago and I was looking right at it and watching for snakes. Worked with a guy whose young daughter found one on the porch and tried to touch it. Copperhead bit her finger and the doctors had to cut her arm open to the bone from her finger to her shoulder to keep the swelling from cutting off circulation.

Hunted with two brothers who grew up in Louisiana. As teens, they went out one morning duck hunting in a john boat. As they passed under a limb, a water moccasin dropped in the boat between them. The brother in the back yelled, "Snake!" The brother in the front turned around, saw the snake, and said, "I'll get it!" He picked up his shotgun and before the other brother could tell him not to, he took a shot at the snake. The snake was apparently not hurt, as it left the sinking boat. The guy in the back cursed at his brother all the way down. Then they had to drag the boat, decoys, and guns back out of the marsh, wondering if that wounded snake or his kin were in the water with them.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    History Lesson:

As am so damned old, I was killing moccasins before the 1958 widespread use of herbicides (yes, herbicides, not DDT) decimated our reptiles and amphibians in the rice-growing parts of the Gulf States' coastal regions.

I have missed thousands of snakes with revolvers & 1911's. A combination of a long stick for those nearby, and a .22 carbine for others works much better for me.

As for "letting them be", we have ten curious grand-kid visitors who aren't too snake-savvy on our rural acreage. I kill every venomous snake I can, if on my own property. There are plenty feral cats, king snakes, and indigo snakes to control our rats.

One of our most fun off-season sports back before '58, was to go "snake hunting". Four teen boys, or if lucky with some girls, would take an old pickup with external fenders, boat cushions, an ice chest, a wooden crate of .22LR's, and our ole Iron sight .22 rifles.

Every 100 shots fired, as counted by the chick in back who passed out ammo & coldbeer, would be time for a rotation: Passer-outer to driver, driver to left fender, left to right, right fender to passer-outer. Discipline was like on a range, excepting the coldbeer.

A typical weekend afternoon would chalk up some 2,000+ moccasins dead in our roadside ditches and small irrigation canals. Occasionally, in cooler weather, we'd use horses for our snake shooting instead of pickups.

Those who came later just can't even imagine the massive numbers of moccasins we had to shoot.

It was not rare for me to kill 100 from a small canal bridge, without moving. When shot-at, they'd submerge; but they's have to come up to breathe. The tiny heads, from 40' to 75' made for excellent riflery practice.

To this day, folks will ask "Why are you so sad all the time?" They are referring to my habit of walking with my head down. I must explain that, from when & where I came, I learned to carefully observe where to put my foot next to avoid a snakebite.

Yes, I always carry a handgun, everywhere, but it is not for snakes.

I hope y'all enjoyed hearing about "Old times along the Coast".

leVieux

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    History Lesson:

As am so damned old, I was killing moccasins before the 1958 widespread use of herbicides (yes, herbicides, not DDT) decimated our reptiles and amphibians in the rice-growing parts of the Gulf States' coastal regions.

I have missed thousands of snakes with revolvers & 1911's. A combination of a long stick for those nearby, and a .22 carbine for others works much better for me.

As for "letting them be", we have ten curious grand-kid visitors who aren't too snake-savvy on our rural acreage. I kill every venomous snake I can, if on my own property. There are plenty feral cats, king snakes, and indigo snakes to control our rats.

One of our most fun off-season sports back before '58, was to go "snake hunting". Four teen boys, or if lucky with some girls, would take an old pickup with external fenders, boat cushions, an ice chest, a wooden crate of .22LR's, and our ole Iron sight .22 rifles.

Every 100 shots fired, as counted by the chick in back who passed out ammo & coldbeer, would be time for a rotation: Passer-outer to driver, driver to left fender, left to right, right fender to passer-outer. Discipline was like on a range, excepting the coldbeer.

A typical weekend afternoon would chalk up some 2,000+ moccasins dead in our roadside ditches and small irrigation canals. Occasionally, in cooler weather, we'd use horses for our snake shooting instead of pickups.

Those who came later just can't even imagine the massive numbers of moccasins we had to shoot.

It was not rare for me to kill 100 from a small canal bridge, without moving. When shot-at, they'd submerge; but they's have to come up to breathe. The tiny heads, from 40' to 75' made for excellent riflery practice.

To this day, folks will ask "Why are you so sad all the time?" They are referring to my habit of walking with my head down. I must explain that, from when & where I came, I learned to carefully observe where to put my foot next to avoid a snakebite.

Yes, I always carry a handgun, everywhere, but it is not for snakes.

I hope y'all enjoyed hearing about "Old times along the Coast".

leVieux
    You need to kill the feral cats.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

As a kid hunted and fished Bayou Vermillion and Bayou Teche ... hard to believe the sorry state much of S Louisiana is from corporate pollution of all persuasions since WWII.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Caution: Don't use the kind of gig that has barbs. Once you get a snake on it, it may be tough to get it off.

Shot a water moccasin once with a bow. Thought I was pretty clever. Then realized that I couldn't retrieve my arrow until the damn thing died.

Yeh I was thinking about that. Then that is what the gun is for.

Top Bottom