FTF sales

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by oldguy, May 31, 2008.

1. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    I have not sold a firearm in a number of years but have recently considered doing so would like boards members tell me how they handle FTF sales, do you request ID or what steps necessary to protect myself.

2. ducksps

ducksps Active Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Meet at your bank

I've met the person in my bank parking lot and write a check with the firearm's serial number on the check. This way I have a receipt of purchase and the person selling the rifle can immediatly cash the check and is sure that I am legit.

3. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    I would get a copy of there license ,or at least write down the info including the ID number off their license and make two copies of a sales receipt.One for you and one for the buyer.

4. ducksps

ducksps Active Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    forgot to mention

When the person cashes the check they must show ID to the teller and for my last purchase the amount required a fingerprint to cash the check.

5. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    The last pistol I sold was a FTF. It was off one of my other forums, the guy was a regular poster w/lots of history on the forum (made me feel more comfortable). We met in a public place, he brought cash. He showed me his drivers license, I showed mine (just to confirm we are both who we say we are). We made 2 sales receipts, both with a description, price, and serial number of the pistol. We both signed each receipt.

I will add neither of us arrived alone. I think it's always a good idea to have a buddy with you when your doing a parking lot deal.

I don't believe that Texas law requires you to keep a record of private gun sales......but it is a little insurance.......in case the firearm is ever used for something illegal. It's just proof that you sold it.

6. TxShooter

TxShooter Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    Laws concerning FTF Gun Sales

In Texas as long as you are a individual and not a dealer there are no regulations for FTF gun sales. There is no duty on your part to check out the buyer or anything else.

7. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008

I believe your correct but in our litigation happy society it is always best
    to protect yourself in advance and I guess that was my idea in original
    post.

8. Renegade

Renegade TGT Addict

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Give them the gun, they give you the cash, shake hands, walk away.

If you want to pretend you don't live in Texas, you can always take it to a FFL and run through him like they do in the commie states where they do not have the freedoms we have.

9. midnightrider

midnightrider Member

Mar 6, 2008
    I generally will only sell to CCL's, or someone I know, but I always ask for Identification when we meet. Once I see that they are legit, I will show them my CCL so that they know I'm on the up and up. Never invite them to your home or go to theirs unless you know them really well. I always like to meet in a neutral area, but "not" a loney back road and I always carry.

10. Pappy

Pappy Resident Septuagenarian

Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    I favor gun shows...