• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nullrejector

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Austin
    I once sold an AR-15. The next week the Feds were knocking on my door. The gun had been left at a felony crime scene.
    After a long talk with the agents, I was off the hook. I still don't collect info, BOS, etc.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Its actually pretty easy.
    They go to the maker and see what gun shop they sold it to....then they look up the 4473. If you are the original buyer they can trace you. If you are not, they can't.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I bought it new. I'm not sure about exactly how they figured it out, but they did.

Manufacturer and serial number. Every FFL along the way has to keep records of the disposition of that firearm, including the FFL you bought it from. The ATF goes to the manufacturer with the serial number (and a warrant, I think... and hope) and from there traces the firearm through the supply chain to the retailer you bought it from, where your 4476 is all filled out and waiting for BATFE to come peruse. Remember this classic movie line? "Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."

And they say there isn't a registry...

There isn't, technically. They CAN trace it to the original purchaser, though.

ATF employees like to whine and cry like the little punks they are that they have to go through the whole process to trace. "If they'd just let us keep a registry..." at which point I start screaming "STFU" at the newspaper article I'm reading.

What were we talking about again?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    FFL holders are required to comply with LE traces. No warrant needed.

red_dawn02.png

Top Bottom