• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shane77624

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    I have a 1911 full size Gold Cup NM 70 series slide on an aluminum AMT frame. I really don't like the looks of the full size 1911's. They just look gangly to me. So my questions are:
    1. Will a commander size slide/bbl combo. be swapped out on the frame?
    2. Would my best option be to have the slide cut down to the approproate size (is this even possible)?
    3. Best option of finishing the aluminum frame to take it to a blued/black color.
    Texas SOT

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Where are you located?

I believe it is possible to get a 4" barrel and slide to fit on the full size frame...

I don't see how anyone could cut the slide... sell the slide/barrel complete and use towards new one if above is true...

Cerakoting is one of the cooler coatings out there for 1911's..

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I have a 1911 full size Gold Cup NM 70 series slide on an aluminum AMT frame. I really don't like the looks of the full size 1911's. They just look gangly to me. So my questions are:
    2. Would my best option be to have the slide cut down to the approproate size (is this even possible)?
    3. Best option of finishing the aluminum frame to take it to a blued/black color.

A Commander slide will physically fit on a Govt frame but it may or my not run properly or reliably. Commander frames have a slightly set back area under the barrel seat and IIRC the rails are shorter. What may happen is the front edge of the rails on the Govt frame will start peening the forward edge of the slot on the Commander slide. Not good! The dust cover on the Govt frame will be longer than the Commander frame.

You don't want to have the slide cut. If you recall the front of the slide has a notch cut inside of it to hold the bushing. Even if you cut the end of the slide off you will need to machine in the slot. The Commander and Govt use different bushing, plug and recoil spring (maybe the guide plug too, can't remember).

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    This project is possible but, IMO, not cost effective.

1911 top ends don't simply swap. The frames are basically the same between govt and commander except the commander's dust cover is shorter. However, in addition to the expense of a new top end, there is fitting involved at many different points.

Again, possible but not cost effective. Cut slide, re-weld, re-fit, refinish. Then buy and fit a new barrel.

Gunkote.

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    I have a full size frame with an officers slide on it. It has never missed a lick. Pretty accurate, too.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom