• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Not sure about what "grade level" they are, but my daughter has really been enjoying reading the entire Harry Potter series. There's a few classics I'll bet she'd like too, when she finishes these up.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Yep, my daughter and son both read far above their grade level. It’s actually been tough for my daughter since it’s getting harder to find books at her reading level that are still appropriate for her age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had an issue with that once I hit around 4th grade, so I started reading Michael Crichton novels. Most of them were fairly appropriate. Disclosure maybe not so much. Rising sun too. Got em second hand from a garage sale down the road from where I lived at the time. Probably should've had more filtering from my parents on that one.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I remember reading Poe in the 4th grade. My teacher didn't approve. She was cool with Jungle Book, but suggested I wait a few years for Tell Tale Heart.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    In 6th grade I was reading above a 14th grade level. The testing only went to 14th grade but the ****** marks kept going to the margin of the paper.

Comprehension and retention were off the chart as well.

What was I reading at age 12? Anything I could get my hands on. I had read the World Book Encyclopedia set from cover to cover. I had read all the text books, everything in the school library, everything remotely interesting in the kids section of the public library.

Thankfully the librarian would let me check out "adult" book. Niven, Heinlein, Farmer, and others. We were allowed to check out 10 books at a time. If I was lucky I could get my mom or dad to take me to the library twice a week.

Stranger in a strange land was an eye opener. The next year Time enough for love came out. Another eye opener. The World of tiers series was pretty good too.

If my mom knew what I had been reading I doubt I would be here now.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Yep, my daughter and son both read far above their grade level. It’s actually been tough for my daughter since it’s getting harder to find books at her reading level that are still appropriate for her age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If she's into sci-fi, Asimov is fantastic and most is child-friendly (assuming sufficient reading level).

"Pebble in the Sky" (fiction) is a great place to start, though not chronologically first in any sense, or 'Atom' for non-fiction.

It's unbelievable how so many of Asimov's fiction books (which are some of the best ever written; taken as a whole, nothing else comes close) take place in the same reality/universe, spanning hundereds of thousands of years. Incredible really, almost all of them are linked (even the ones that seem unrelated).

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If she's into sci-fi, Asimov is fantastic and most is child-friendly (assuming sufficient reading level).

"Pebble in the Sky" (fiction) is a great place to start, though not chronologically first in any sense, or 'Atom' for non-fiction.

It's unbelievable how so many of Asimov's fiction books (which are some of the best ever written; taken as a whole, nothing else comes close) take place in the same reality/universe, spanning hundereds of thousands of years. Incredible really, almost all of them are linked (even the ones that seem unrelated).
    Agree on Asimov being good scifi for young teens. Also, the Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings trilogy are good for them.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    a13083309-174-105080.jpg

Attachments

• a13083309-174-105080.jpg
      a13083309-174-105080.jpg
      18.9 KB · Views: 553

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Not my grandma or even my mother. The only beetles weren't exactly something to listen to, rolling stones was a chore, go-go boots and mini skirts weren't a thing. Durn kids... get off my lawn!

LOL, mine neither. Mine dipped snuff and had a kid, then hoed cotton that afternoon, and the Mustang wasnt even a thought back then. My mom wished she drove a Mustang.

Top Bottom