• ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    School me.

Can my G22 be converted to 9mm with only a barrel swap?

I see them (9mm barrels) in the $50 range (don’t need threaded).
    What else is required to run 9mm in the G 22? Different mags?

Only looking to add versatility and maybe fire some less-expensive ammo.

Thanks in advance!
    Lynx Defense

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    All you really need is a barrel and magazine.

You might be able to get away with the 22 mag, but the 9mm magazine will be more reliable

Last edited:

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Only a barrel is needed, but it must be a "conversion " barrel. Putting a mod 17 in a mod 22 wont work. After that, the mod 22 mags will work fine.
    A G17 barrel will work in a G22, I've tried it. It doesn't work well but, it will work. The conversion barrel has a larger diameter. The opening in the G22 slide is larger that the G17 barrel and there is a loss of accuracy.

G22 magazines will feed 9mm just fine.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    Only a barrel is needed, but it must be a "conversion " barrel. Putting a mod 17 in a mod 22 wont work. After that, the mod 22 mags will work fine.
    Really? I have some CZ 40 cal mags that do feed 9mm, but most won't. I have a G22 with a G31, and Lone Wolf 40-9 barrels...I haven't tried 9mm in the G22mags, as I have plenty of G17 mags...
    @skfullgun, please share any links to $50 9mm conversion barrels!

Joe

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I installed a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel in my .40 cal Glock 24. Since I was now using 9mm, I used 9mm magazines bought for other Glocks. It never occurred to me to put 9mm ammo in .40-marked mags.

It works just fine with no other changes. It prefers hotter ammo; the weaker "range grade" ammo sometimes just dribbles out the side over my hand instead of flying out like normal. But even with boxes of ammo where every ejected case rolls over my hand and drops straight to the ground, the thing feeds, fires, and ejects about as reliably as gravity.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I installed a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel in my .40 cal Glock 24. Since I was now using 9mm, I used 9mm magazines bought for other Glocks. It never occurred to me to put 9mm ammo in .40-marked mags.

During the '94 AWB, a common trick was to use .40S&W mags to get a little extra capacity in 9mm pistols. Some mags required a slight tweak to the feed lips to work properly. There was a lot of debate about the legality of use and modification of .40 mags in that way, but the general consensus was to keep one's mouth shut about it and carry on....

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    School me.

Can my G22 be converted to 9mm with only a barrel swap?

I see them (9mm barrels) in the $50 range (don’t need threaded).
    What else is required to run 9mm in the G 22? Different mags?

Only looking to add versatility and maybe fire some less-expensive ammo.

Thanks in advance!
    Originally a debate about the ejector being different was on going but I myself didn’t mess much with the conversion.

And that debate was old.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    Be interested to see how that $50 conversion barrel shoots. I bought a $39 barrel suitable for cast bullets for my G26 - 1:16" twist, which is arguably the optimal twist rate for 9mm, and conventional rifling. The thing is a bullet hose. It turns my G26 into a much less accurate gun than the factory barrel. This particular barrel is made by Bear Creek Arsenal (and sold under other names), which is not known for premium quality barrels. I initially figured that for $39 I wouldn't get burned too badly if it didn't shoot. Looks like I was right.

Top Bottom