• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    If Bass Pro Shops can open a store down in the valley....why can't we get another sporting goods store? Academy is hardly in stock lately. Even thou, gander mountain may not the cheapest priced but at least is gives us another choice....
    Target Sports

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Gander Mountain likes to sell guns over msrp. Sometimes way over. No thanks!!

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    I kinda like that we don't, that way I am not tempted to run down to the sporting good store and blow 50 bucks.

really?... and when that one store is out-of-stock or you dont like the selection, you gonna have wait till next delivery...

Gander Mountain likes to sell guns over msrp. Sometimes way over. No thanks!!

you dont have to buy anything against your will..... too high, dont buy..... its as easy as that.....
    I rather have choices..... I remember a few years ago.... I wanted to buy a Henry Golden Boy .22, but Academy was out of stock and they did not know when they would be back in stock.... I waited for a month... nothing...... I paid $30 extra in SA's Bass Pro Shop (compared to Academy) for the same rifle but got in-store credit for opening an account with them....(cant remember how much,) Good thing I didnt wait for Academy.....

It really doest matter if the next sporting goods store is Gander Mountain or not.....It could be another retailer. I think Academy is fine and Im not trying to bash Academy, but another retailer in CC to give them competition for our dollars is not a bad thing....

Fits in well for Corpus.
    yup... starting to see that....

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Well the way this city is run is ridiculous. One thing I can think of recently was the whole issue with Whataburger, the city was doing everything they could to screw them while at the same time giving new ventures tax breaks. Then they blame Whataburger for leaving Corpus.

Whataburger did not leave CC, only the corporate office.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Which totally sucks, they have a job opening I'd be interested in, but their offices are no longer half a mile from my house.

Whatburger HQ leaving CC for SA sucked big time..... I dont know what the city council could have done to convince them to stay.... but then again HEB HQ left for SA also back in the 80s.....

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hey....Look at it this way.... CC made history.... for time ever.... never happened before..... 3 Walmart supercenters open in one day... here in CC.... reminds me of the jeffersons...... we are moving on up! :1zhelp:

ps... not knocking walmart.... i go there sometimes for the ammo.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Whatburger HQ leaving CC for SA sucked big time..... I dont know what the city council could have done to convince them to stay.... but then again HEB HQ left for SA also back in the 80s.....

Well for one not be inept fools...

But let's be real cc is not the best geographic location for a corporate headquarters. you have to want to be in cc for you to stay.

Personally, from a business aspect I kind of like HEB. They're the only people who really have taken on Walmart head to head, and not left with their tail between their legs. (sure it has been regional but...)
    They are also one of the handful of grocers that actually have created product differentiation with their central market branded stores and product branding. They really are innovative when it comes to selling groceries.
    Especially in a time where the grocery industry is shrinking.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Well for one not be inept fools...

But let's be real cc is not the best geographic location for a corporate headquarters. you have to want to be in cc for you to stay.

Personally, from a business aspect I kind of like HEB. They're the only people who really have taken on Walmart head to head, and not left with their tail between their legs. (sure it has been regional but...)
    They are also one of the handful of grocers that actually have created product differentiation with their central market branded stores and product branding. They really are innovative when it comes to selling groceries.
    Especially in a time where the grocery industry is shrinking.

You are right.... CC is not the best location to have a corporate HQ... Im a fan of HEB also.... HEB has more than held up against Walmart.....even thou Walmart has more square-foot retail space that HEB in town.... I dont know if many people know this, but HEB was selected as Progressive Grocer's 2010 Retailer of the Year on a national level....

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20101006005465/en/H-E-B/Progressive-Grocer/Retailer-of-the-Year

now...if we could only get Academy some competition....:deadhorse:

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    You are right.... CC is not the best location to have a corporate HQ... Im a fan of HEB also.... HEB has more than held up against Walmart.....even thou Walmart has more square-foot retail space that HEB in town.... I dont know if many people know this, but HEB was selected as Progressive Grocer's 2010 Retailer of the Year on a national level....

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20101006005465/en/H-E-B/Progressive-Grocer/Retailer-of-the-Year

now...if we could only get Academy some competition....:deadhorse:

For the stuff I actually buy at academy, minus those magellan shirts that they just increased by 4 bucks.
    You can get fishing gear at Roys and every gas station in town, there is a rather nice edwin watts, I can get jeans and stuff at Cavenders, and I print out my own fishing licenses, (I'm just kidding). so for me, There are some other locations to buy what I end up buying at Academy.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    So now I hear Dick's is coming to the new Shops at La Palmera.... or whatever its called....Wasnt it Dicks that pulled the Bushmaster and other ARs off the shelf shortly after the Newtown shooting? I hear rumors that they will not even sell firearms or ammo.... what have ya heard? We dont need a liberal east coast sporting goods company in town.... thats probably be over-priced anyways....

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Hadn't heard about them coming....I would not/will not shop there.......

It would have been nice to have had a Bass Pro or Gander Mountain Store here though........

cdhknives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Yeah, Dicks earned their name with that smooth move. I'm not the least bit excited about them coming to town...Academy already had good pricing and I hope this doesn't reduce their stock levels...

Top Bottom